Is The Grass Really Greener On The Other Side?

Technically speaking... the answer is yes.

151

The grass is always greener on the other side. This is something we've all been hearing since, well, forever. It never goes out of style. The point of the saying is that whatever you don't have or whatever somebody else does have; it always appears golden. Whatever you can't get yourself always seems so much better than what you currently have or who you currently are. Whatever's on the other side of the fence always has greener grass, a better experience, more to offer and make you happier.

But what's the truth behind this? Obtaining the things you don't currently have in your possession will make you a happier person, right? Wrong, and that's actually not what is meant by the grass being greener over there.

Surely everyone has their own hopes, wishes, dreams and wants.

Children are always craving adulthood, teenagers repeatedly rolling their eyes and saying they can't wait to turn 18 and finally be treated like an adult. Once the youth reaches the glamorous part of life that is adulthood, more than likely they switch their desires around. Adults want their youth back. Your early 20s make you want to cry and have your mom call for your dentist appointments, make decisions for you, pay your rent. During later adulthood, you simply don't want to get older, don't want to get closer to your expiration date...you want to be a carefree kid again. From either end, whatever you are not is exactly what you want. The kid wanting to be a grown up finally walks over to the "other side" and realizes the grass is not greener. The grass was greener over there...the now "other side" that was their youth.

So many people wish to be famous, to be admired by all. It seems like the life — being rich, having fans, a big home, no work to do, travel and do whatever you want. However, few people actually reach stardom and are left to dream about the "better life." The Kardashians have it so easy! Can you imagine traveling as much as they do, having a glam squad to get you nice and pretty every morning, having personal chefs to cook all your favorite meals and getting dolled up for photo shoots as income? Sounds amazing! Well it seems great at least, unless you are a Kardashian, or anyone in the limelight. The majority of these people are seriously grateful for the lives they live, but more often than not, they end up exposing how they would kill for just one day to be "normal". The paparazzi seem to be the biggest struggle for stars like the Kardashians. They are limited much by mobs of insensitive people trying to snap photos; they can't just go for a quick coffee or see a movie on a whim. I'm sure that as much as they crave a low-key simple life, if they were to be granted that wish, again, the grass would be so much greener on the other side. The stars would be finding themselves dreaming of fame without it.

All in all, as the saying goes, the grass really is much greener on the other side...with one revision. I would make a change in the direction of, "the grass always appears greener on the other side."

This is because of the fact that we should all be grateful for what we have. The saying goes along with this one well too: "You always want what you don't have." Nothing will ever be enough if you fall into that trap, and you will never be happy.

So, although a different life may seem like the key to happiness right now, take a moment and think about what you do have. You'll be surprised with how much you have to be thankful for. And if you're in need of a change, something to spice up your life, to bring excitement to your current "down", make a list of things that make you happy. Then, make a list of things you do on the daily that make you happy. Compare them, and when you see how short the latter is, revise. Match it to the first list. Do more things that bring you joy, and remember, the grass may seem greener on the other side, but I can assure you, it is not. The perfectly trimmed, healthy green grass is almost always an illusion that you create yourself.