Is Prom Night Even Worth It? Yes, Yes It Is

To The Girl Wondering If Prom Is Worth It, It's A Night You Won't Forget

The perfect way to end your high school experience.

143

From expensive updos, flower corsages, to Sherri Hill dresses; prom is a major high school event for most teenage girls. Many people could tell you that it's just a waste of money, while others can easily say it's worth every penny.

Prom is a once in a lifetime experience where you get the chance to dress up and make lifelong memories with your high school friends. Coming from someone who pretty much wears sweatpants six out of seven days of the week, it's not every day where you have an excuse to curl your hair and get dressed in a long, fancy gown. Prom is an event where every teenage girl deserves to unapologetically dress up and feel beautiful in her own skin.

Since there are so many ranges of prom preparation lists, you don't have to do everything. While things like false eyelashes, acrylic nails, and spray tans are important to some girls, they are less essential for others. Although riding in a limo to prom would be really cool, you can also just ride in the back of your parent's Honda.

Something I personally love about prom is seeing people get asked in such extravagant ways. "Promposals" are so exciting because many people put a lot of effort into thinking of creative and elaborate ideas. When someone asks another person to be their date to prom in such a fun way, it really makes the whole experience even more special.

Prom should be a special night for teens, but it is not the most important day of their lives. No one should feel pressured or like a "loser" if they choose not to go. It's OK to not attend prom. Tickets can be overpriced, typical prom dresses cost a lot, and all of the other expenses add up. However, you should keep in mind that you don't need to spend a thousand dollars on prom. Not everyone feels the need to get their hair, makeup, and nails done; lots of people do it all themselves!

Prom is a night to take fun pictures, hang out with friends, maybe to coordinate with a date, and even involve your parents. Although some people go to prom more than once, it's really just one night of your life. It doesn't have to be a waste of time. And if you don't have fun, then you obviously don't have to do it again. At least you can look back and say you tried.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a date or a brand new dress. Your hair may not be perfect, the music may not be amazing, and you might not get to slow dance with someone; but at least you'll get to experience an unforgettable night. Once high school is over, so are your chances of going to prom. People who don't experience it will probably end up regretting it later on in life. I, for one, would say that prom is 100% worth going to at least once.