Is A Long Distance Relationship For You?

Make the most of your long-distance relationship.

47
Ashleigh Lemelin

Whether you’re going away to college, accepting a job in another state, or traveling outside of the country, you may be considering if a long-distance relationship is for you. Long distance relationships are no walk in the park. They aren’t easy but they are certainly possible. It takes two very strong and committed people to be able to experience time away and days without talking.

1. Trust

I think the single most important characteristic of a relationship is trust. You need a lot of trust to participate in a long-distance relationship. When you are away, you don’t always know what your partner is doing. You can’t get into the mindset that they are doing something that they shouldn’t be. You both need to keep a level head and realize that the other person cares enough about you to stay with you while there is a distance between you. Not everyone is willing to deal with distance and many people would separate themselves in that situation. Learn to trust your partner and focus on what you’ve set out to do.

2. Commitment

This is a big key to a successful LDR. You must be committed to this person. It cannot be a casual fling or someone that you are unsure about being with. Think about it this way, if you are not sure if you want to be with someone chances are you’ll find someone else while away. That isn’t fair to the other person that is trying to make things work with you. If you are not committed to your current significant other, break it off to save them the heartbreak and you from cheating.

3. Support

Support in a relationship is another important aspect of a LDR. If you are committed to someone but not supportive of what they want, it will only end in them resenting you. When your significant other is away it is just as hard, if not harder on them. Depending on where they are, it may be a new place for them, somewhere that they don’t know the language, or don’t have friends. They will look to you for support when they are feeling unconfident in their decision to be away. Be encouraging that everything will work out and let them know that you are there for them. It will make your relationship stronger in the end if they know how supportive and caring you are.

4. Communication

Communication is key in a relationship, so how does long distance work if you can’t talk every day? Think of it this way, decades ago people didn’t have means to communicate every day. Men and women go away to fight for their country and can’t always speak with loved ones. It’s the communication that does occur that is important. When you aren’t able to communicate each and every day it actually makes the next time you talk, that much more exciting. When you do have the chance to talk, keep arguments to a bare minimum if at all. Arguing makes conditions a lot worse for both parties if there is distance involved. If there is an issue, address it and talk it out. Don’t let it fester and upset you more. Don’t leave a conversation with things unsaid because then you will be stuck thinking about it and have added stress.

By using these tips, you will find your Long-distance relationship to be much more manageable. A relationship should never keep you from pursuing what you want to do. Instead, it should be a support system to encourage you to reach for your dreams.