5 Healthy Meals For College Students: Rescuing You From Dining Hall Repetitiveness

No more home-cooked meals… time to DIY!

607
Food
c2.staticflickr.com

This is a response to 5 Holistic Beauty Tips

As mentioned in the original article, we like to feel good about ourselves. What we eat and how this impacts our health on the inside impacts how we feel both inside and out. Especially as students, it’s important to have healthy, consistent meals to ensure that our minds and bodies are in full charge! However, it can be hard to find nutritious and accessible meals on campus in dining halls or markets. Here are some healthy (as well as easy to make and budget-friendly!) meals that I’ve tried or am I excited to try to curve the dining hall repetitiveness.

Oatmeal

givemeglo / Instagram

I know this may seem like a basic one, but oatmeal has so many health benefits! I love having oatmeal every morning as it’s easy to make and is a great source of fiber, which makes it not only filling which can help with eating fewer calories throughout the day but also helps with your digestion. Oatmeal is also a prebiotic food which is beneficial for the good bacteria in your gut as well as a heart-healthy food, as it helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Whether it’s overnight oats or Quaker instant oatmeal, your gut and heart will thank you! Try elevating this breakfast with fruit, such as apples or blackberries, or nuts to help your digestive system even more.

Cilantro Lime Chicken With Cauliflower Rice

fitness_meals / Instagram

Want to start meal prepping but not sure where to start? Try making this low-carb, high-protein chicken and cauliflower rice meal from Fit Foodie Finds. This recipe stays good in your refrigerator for up to four days, allowing you to eat a healthy lunch or snack throughout the week!

Mini Zucchini Pizzas

Taste of Home / Instagram

Tired of the dining hall pizza and its crust that lowkey reminds you a little too much of cardboard? Try this low-carb, veggie substitute by Taste of Home and use your favorite toppings, from pepperoni slices to fresh basil! With a preparation time of 20 minutes, your mini delicacies will be ready after one or two of your favorite YouTube videos.

Strawberry, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Sandwiches

Sara Tane / Instagram

Safe to say I’m a bit intrigued by this sweet and savory open-faced sandwich by HyVee. You could always swap the English muffins out with whole-grain bread if you want those extra vitamins, minerals, and fiber! Whether you choose to make this meal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack in between classes, your taste buds are sure to thank you! Pictured above with avocado!

Caprese Salad Kabobs

asully1318 / Instagram

Looking for a healthy and easy-to-make recipe for snacks or get-togethers? Instead of the usual veggie platter, try out this colorful option with easy assembly by Taste of Home. All you need is grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese balls, basil leaves, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar!

In conclusion, when you have time on the weekends and are tired of the meals that your campus dining halls have been serving, meal-prepping a delicious new recipe that’s beneficial for your body and mind is a great way to prepare for being an academic weapon. Finding easy-to-make recipes that will benefit your body in the future, especially your heart, head, and gut, will prepare you for after graduation as well.