Why College Dining Halls Need To Diversify Their Menu
food

There Should Be More Food Diversity And Healthier Options At College Dining Halls

Keeping up with healthy eating habits in college can be difficult, especially for people with restrictions such as vegetarians and vegans.

833

Most college students are usually always busy with classes, assignments, activities or meeting people that we often do not have enough time to make sure our meals are nutritious or are satisfying our health requirements. We tend to grad the quick meals and the easy options that are not always good for our health. Being a vegetarian myself, when I am busy I notice that my options are limited in college and I find myself often resorting to pizza and pasta on a regular basis because it is the most convenient and readily available food.

At home, I would eat Indian food every day which would satisfy my nutrition needs. Eating only carbs is unhealthy and makes our bodies lack proper nutrition. Most college students are from very diverse backgrounds and have many different dietary needs, and that is why college dining halls should have more readily available multi-cultural foods, to minimize the lack of proper nutrition for students.

According to the Journal of Nutrition and Human Health, inadequate nutrition affects students' health and academic success. Even though students already have a fair knowledge of nutrition, many of them find themselves consuming processed food such as chips, cookies, and cereal based on convenience. It is essential for college students to try their best in college so that they can prepare their future for success and strive to achieve their dreams. If students do not feel healthy or strong enough to work at their optimal level, their futures become at risk.

If colleges had more options, such as having easily and readily available food from different cultures and countries to try and meet the needs of the diverse students, it will become more convenient for students to choose healthy options because it will be similar to the foods that they are used to eating and they will be able to conveniently choose healthy options.