5 Holistic Beauty Tips

5 Holistic Beauty Tips

Because you deserve to feel beautiful.

122
5 Holistic Beauty Tips
Free People

We like to feel good about ourselves.

Corporations and adverts like to tell us that there is only one way to be beautiful, but that can't be farther from the truth. Beauty comes in a variety of forms, and every person is entitled to feeling like their best self.

Although inner beauty is the most valuable, here are a few holistic tips to feeling wonderful -- both inside and out.

1. Coconut Oil

Although once ostracized by the medical community, coconut oil has made a comeback -- and with good reason. It has a multitude of uses: body lotion, DIY coffee creamer, sunscreen, lip balm...the list is enormous. You can use this multi-purpose oil as a make-up remover, facial cleanser or hair treatment.

One of my favorite ways to use coconut oil is by way of oil pulling, which is the ancient practice of swishing one tablespoon of oil (typically sunflower, sesame or coconut) in your mouth for about twenty minutes. It may sound crazy, but it's not pseudo-science. Oil pulling has been shown to prevent gingivitis, bad breath and even whiten your teeth. It's essentially nature's mouthwash!

I will warn you, it can be difficult to keep the oil in your mouth. It may help to make oil pulling 'poppers', which use edible essential oils to add flavor (such as lemon, mint, or grapefruit) and make the experience a little more, well, enjoyable. Your teeth will thank you.

2. Water

Although this may seem like a no-brainer, most people aren't drinking enough water. It is generally agreed upon that a person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily as water regulates the toxins in our body.

Plentiful water consumption can result in glowing skin and minimal headaches. Using a humidifier during the winter time can also reduce dry skin and improve nasal passage.

Plain and simple: if you don't drink water, you'll die. It's a rather convincing argument.

3. Honey

This is my holy grail. I am with honey the way Toula's dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding is with Windex...it is the remedy for all that ails. Honey has many anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, which can heal your entire body. It has been proven to be a throat soother, sleep aid and generally just super tasty. You can use honey as a face mask, cleanser or spot treatment. After use, my skin is noticeably brighter, tighter and way less dry.

Manuka honey, in particular, is a godsend for skin. This kind of honey has an activity factor, or Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) and most holistic beauty gurus suggest 10+ for topical use.

With all this said, we need to keep the honey-makers (the true MVPs) safe. Honeybees have been in rapid decline. Visit HelpSaveBees and do what you can to assure the safety of our little yellow friends.

4. Rose Water

Roses are the universal flower of love. Cleopatra was even believed to have used rose water as a part of her skin care regime, and who could argue with a pharaohess?

Rose water is anti-inflammatory, can maintain your skin's PH level and even help you sleep after a long day. You can use it as a facial cleanser, toner (my favorite method) and acne treatment. Sprtiz some on your face to set your makeup, and continue to apply throughout the day to keep your look fresh and dewy.

5. Green Tea

Not only a delicious hot beverage, green tea is rich in antioxidants, amino acids and enzymes, which can prevent disease. It's inexpensive and healthy. I'm drinking a cup as I type this!

Green tea can be used (both internally and topically) to enhance your complexion, rid puffy eyes, fight signs of aging and treat acne scars. It has also been stated that drinking a cup a day, or taking a green tea supplement, can encourage weight loss.

Make a DIY green tea face mask by combining two bags of green tea, baking soda and honey (everything is connected!). Spread the mixture all over your face and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The mask will soothe facial redness and irritation.