6 Unhealthy College Habits

6 Unhealthy College Habits

Is College Killing You?

394
6 Unhealthy College Habits

If you're not already aware, college is an entirely different world. There are many habits that we have developed to survive here. Unfortunately, you may not be aware that many of these habits are very unhealthy and/or very impractical for your journey into adulthood. They may also create problems in the future.

1. Poor Eating Habits

According to studies, 95% of college students don't eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables. Most of these problems are due to lack of time and money. If I'm up studying all night, chances are I'm not reaching for something healthy when I get hungry; I want something crunchy and full of fat that will give me a short burst of energy. Also, fruits and vegetables do tend to cost more than the normal student budgets allow for. Hopefully graduating from college will help free up more money and time.

2. Poor Sleeping Habits

So obviously, it's not healthy to survive on 2 hours of sleep. The average college students gets 6-7 hours of sleep (I myself only get 5-6 hours of sleep per night). The average amount needed for an adult is 6-10 hours. These hours can add up though. Getting 6-8 hours less sleep over a week can limit your life span. Not to mention, it's harder to focus on your studies, which is usually the reason we're up in the first place ironically. My guess is it'll be easier to sleep once the factor of studying is removed.

3. Really Good Sleeping Habits

Every once in a while you probably get those days where you don't have any homework that needs immediate attention so you sleep the entire day. This is also unhealthy. Oversleeping creates the same effects as under-sleeping. It's linked to a large number of medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and an increased risk of death. Too much sleep can be a bad thing.

4. Stress Smoking

There are a lot of ways to deal with stress but smoking is one of the unhealthy ones. Research has shown that 30% of college students use tobacco of some sort. This runs counter to downward trends in smoking in the general population. Social smoking is also a big problem in college students. Smoking is still smoking and you can get addicted. Try these other ways to relieve stress before reaching for that cigarette: http://collegelife.about.com/od/healthwellness/ht/...

5. Sedentary Lifestyle

60% of college students don't get the recommended amount of physical activity.Either we're sitting in the classroom or sitting in the library. Like many students, I haven't had much time to hit the gym between class, work, and homework. I try to ride my bike every so often around campus to get in some kind of exercise. When you find yourself without homework, go the gym! You can also try getting short bursts of activity in between each study session. You'll definitely feel more energized and productive because of it.

6. Binge Watching TV

One word: Netflix. When I don't have anything important to do, I tend to watch countless hours of shows on online TV streaming services. I usually don't have time to watch the shows that I've missed while studying so I take 'study breaks' to catch up on all my favorite shows. However, I find myself binge watching shows when I want to avoid responsibility. And staring at screens for hours on end is pretty unhealthy.

Remember, college isn't forever but these unhealthy habits that you can develop now might be. Hopefully, reading this article will make you more aware of your activities and help you make better lifestyle changes for your transition into real adulthood.