Will The iPhone X Take Over The World?

Will The iPhone X Take Over The World?

The unintended implications of facial recognition technology

102
Will The iPhone X Take Over The World?
Mentalfloss.com

As usual, Apple has come out with a new update that is ground-breaking in a variety of ways and has features beyond what we could imagine.

Or could we?

As critics assess the new update more and more, it has become clear that many of the iPhone X's new elements are not necessarily innovative. Not only that, but some of these new features raise genuine concerns with regards to privacy and security. Some of these new advancements even make us question to what degree corporations may be conspiring behind the added level of information we give them.

This aspect may be a stretch, but there certainly are a number of questions involved when it comes to the new iPhone X.

Facial recognition software isn't as innovative as it appears.

The number one selling point of the new iPhone is this new facial recognition system, allowing users to unlock their phone by simply looking at the screen. Rather than the touch ID system, the new software allows for even further simplicity with this facial recognition system. However, this isn't the first time this technology is being used. When the Galaxy S8 first came out, it released a similar type of new facial recognition software with some concerning drawbacks.

Can the phone be unlocked with a picture of your face?

It quickly became evident with the Galaxy S8 that users would only have to hold up a picture of themselves (or someone else, for that matter) to unlock a phone. This, understandably, raised huge privacy concerns. Apple claims to have several cameras with more advanced degree of quality within their system, so it could be inferred that this barrier would be accounted for. However, there haven't been many tests popularized when it comes to this concern, so at this point in time, the best bet is to give it a try.

What if I'm sleeping, being kidnapped, or being detained?

Couldn't someone just hold the phone up to my face and unlock my phone? Well, yes. Whether you're sleeping on a public transportation system or with your boyfriend, what's stopping them from simply holding the phone up to your face to unlock and peruse all of your messages, photos, bank information, Venmo, and more? Nothing. Let alone the possibility of you being kidnapped or murdered, the perpetrator could easily access all of your information on your phone. This makes phone thievery much simpler, as they can even get into the phone to take the pass code off.

Will it work equally as well for all races?

Typically, facial recognition technology in the past has shown that quite a few people of the same race are needed to initially calibrate and establish the recognition system for maximum quality. It is unclear what degree to which Apple accounted for this element and whether a majority of the people used to establish their technology were of the same race. This could create serious issues when it comes to facial recognition in minorities.

How will my information be used?

The conspiracy element of the new iPhone X comes into play when we explore the possibility of information being used against our will or with unintended consequences. For example, facial recognition information could easily be sold out to companies to help with marketing or targeted advertising. Your facial recognition system could note your makeup trends, glasses, sunglasses, lipstick colors, etc. and let companies know about these types of things to establish a trend. The degree of privacy with this element remains uncertain.