iPhones & Eye Strain: Decreasing My Screen Time

There is only so much Night Shift and Dark Mode can do.

25

Last week, my average screen time on my iPhone was 10 hours and 56 minutes. This was pretty standard screen time for the last few months with me.

While I knew it was a bad thing, I found it hard to cut down on my time (and I still do as it is a working process). I was spending hours watching YouTube, Tik Tok, and Netflix mainly as entertainment is a hobby if that counts. I also have to mention games, music, other social media, and more as well.

I knew it was bad for my eyes despite using both Night Shift and Dark Mode all the time. I also knew it was bad for my time management and productivity with various tasks I want to accomplish.

This week, my average screen time is 6 hours and 16 minutes. Objectively, this is probably still bad. But I think it's also bad to ignore small achievements and not recognize improvements! I'm proud of myself for an around 5-hour difference in a week. It was simple changes that helped me cut down my online time. It took some effort, simply because I am used to spending all of my free time online.

Here is what I did instead:

1. Read Novels

Unsplash

I am guilty of purchasing books, putting them on my shelf, and not thinking of them again. I started reading for fun again during my down time and I am very much enjoying it. It is a form of entertainment that takes my eyes away from screens, but is just as immersive as any show or movie.

If you're curious about what book I read this week, I read "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng, (it was good).

2. Get A Job

This one is both more drastic and more simple than the others. I got a job.

I had a ton of free time so I figured it would be something productive to do rather than spending days on my phone. There are obviously a ton of other benefits to working, but for the purposes of keeping my screen time down, this worked perfectly.

3. Do Mini Projects

I don't know about you, but I have a growing To-Do list with stuff that I have told myself that I will do in the future and the time never comes where I do it.

I decided now is the time to do those projects. One example of a mini project I did that I have been pushing off is creating a photo album. I bought a small printer and began printing family photos and such that are only in my online camera roll and put them in an album.

It was quick to do, but satisfying to complete.

All in all, spending less time on my phone has made days feels more special and longer. I would definitely recommend if you can. It's worth a try.