My Interview With Trans Activist LaSaia Wade

Eight questions answered on the LGBT community, activism, intersectional feminism and today's politics.

157
Sara Zavaleta / Facebook

I first met LaSaia Wade at a 2015 Trans Rights march; she was leading a large crowd through the streets of downtown Nashville, loudly chanting into a megaphone "Trans Lives Matter." LaSaia is a black, trans, gender nonconforming (GNC), queer woman — she jokes that it is "a mouthful," but LaSaia unapologetically and openly owns her identity. She graduated with a bachelor's degree from MTSU in 2010, and worked at Bellsouth as the Director of Transactions, until she was fired for being a trans woman. Not too long after, she began her activist work, traveling all over the United States to pursue different internships.

In 2014, she founded her own nonprofit, Tennessee Trans Justice Project (TNTJ), after she experienced homelessness in Baltimore. TNTJ has organized marches, visibility for trans lives, and spread awareness about the violence trans and GNC people disproportionately face every day. LaSaia, passionately determined to support and better the lives of trans women and men, now runs the 501c3 organization Brave Space Alliance. In addition to her advocacy work, LaSaia recently started her own business, Queen Bee Hive.

I had the opportunity to interview LaSaia about the LGBT community, activism, intersectional feminism, and today's politics. Here are her answers below:

1. What are the largest struggles trans folks are currently dealing with in America?

"Unemployment and financial struggles are the biggest thing trans and GNC people are facing. Now with the Trump presidency, we will be dealing with high forms of violence towards People of color and the LGBT community; being both doesn't make it better."

2. What do you believe are possible solutions to these injustices?

"Truthfully it's hard to even say now, people are given a ticket to hate. For me, it is about teaching the youth to not perpetuate the hate and ignorance from our 'four fathers.' It's Trans and GNC folks to start to build their own power and businesses. Additionally, telling 'allies' to start doing the dangerous work that we [Trans/GNC people as well as PoC] have been doing; 'white allies' need to speak to their families and go to rural areas, out of their liberal circles."

3. If you could choose just 3 words to describe the current state of American politics, what would they be?

"As we know in any imperialist society, it falls in time so I would say: 'In A Hellstorm'"

4. How would you define intersectional feminism for someone who is unsure about what it means?

"It is a concept often used in critical theories to describe the ways in which oppressive institutions racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, classism, etc. are interconnected and cannot be examined separately from one another. White feminism slowly started reproducing many of the same aggressive characteristics as the hegemonic, male-dominated system. The statement 'We’re all women, why do you want to talk about race?' was dangerously modeled along the lines of 'We’re all people, why do you want to talk about gender?' And both were used to discourage any challenges to the status quo."

5. As a trans WOC, what are some of the ways other activists and allies can support those who identify as transgender?

“Listen to the needs, not what you think we need.”

6. If you could be any woman from history, who would it be and why?

"Audre Lorde argued that a few token women in positions of power did not signal the death knell of the patriarchy, so I can't choose one. I wouldn't be where I am today without any one of them, not even without my trans ancestors."

7. What is a quote or book that inspires you to continue your work as an activist?

"None — it is the girls who are in the streets daily, doing the work that make me stronger. I keep fighting because they haven’t given up."

8. In the spirit of giving, what are some inclusionary and intersectional nonprofits we can send donations to?

"There are many, focus on helping a community build a business, or on women that need the support. It starts with helping them directly."

Check out LaSaia's Suggestions Below:

Save the bees and support marginalized communities by donating to Queen Bee Hive Apiary.

Support Black Trans Women and help Ralayzia Sayuri Taylor. #BlackTransLivesMatter

Donate to this Restoration Fund — support LaSaia and other trans activists doing the work for ALL marginalized groups!