As the summer begins, a lot of us are either looking for or starting an internship. The process can be frustrating, exciting, and sometimes, absolutely hilarious. I've compiled a variety of GIFs to describe different moments of the internship process that either I've faced or others have told me about. If a picture is worth a thousand words, hopefully, these GIFs tell the whole story.
1. When you're applying for an internship, but they're asking you to have two to three years of internship experience
How exactly am I supposed to get internship experience if most internships want internship experience? That'd be like signing up for a free trial and being told you need to have experience with other free trials to sign up. In most cases, it doesn't really make sense to me.
2. When you find out they like your resume and want you to interview for the internship
It's hard not to be surprised when we're so used to getting "no" or not getting any response at all. Sometimes I refresh the page three times and reread the email 10 times to make sure I actually got an interview spot.
3. When it's the day of the interview and you're getting ready
Even if you want this internship and feel super qualified, it's still a nerve-wracking experience. It's hard not to consider that your whole summer hinges on this one meeting with someone you don't know.
4. When you're trying to be friendly in the waiting room but no one else is smiling at you
I love putting out positive energy, but I rarely get that energy back in an interview waiting room. However, I completely get where people are coming from considering they're either really nervous or just super focused on killing their interviews.
5. When the interviewer asks you how the school semester went
Sometimes once you leave school, it's the last thing you want to think about, especially if you had a rough semester. It's a huge challenge not to show on your face how tough the semester has been when your interviewer asks about it.
6. When the interviewer asks a simple question and you try to give an intelligent answer
I've left a few interviews wanting to hit my head against the wall for trying to sound too intelligent. Sometimes interviewers want a simple answer and we overdo it.
7. When your interview goes perfectly but you manage to say something stupid as you're leaving
I've always been taught that people usually remember the beginning and end of a conversation. Thus, when I end the interview by making a bad joke, or worse, forgetting the interviewer's name, I feel like disappearing on the spot.
8. When they call you and let you know you got the internship
One of the best feelings ever! I hope that everyone is able to experience this feeling on some level. While I've never dropped my phone, I've definitely ran through my house screaming after hanging up.