I'm Trying Really Hard Not To Judge You Right Now

We all have judgements about people, places, and things; but how we internalize these judgements is what defines us as people.

23
Pintrest

You are judgmental. I am judgmental. We are all judgmental. It's a part of human nature to judge other people. How you internalize and act upon these judgements is what determines you as a person. When we see someone for the first time in a split second we decide and define who they are. However, it is crucial that in those next few moments you don’t let these predetermined judgements define this person. Don’t close your mind.

As a child, and to this day, I have been exposed to shall I say “interesting” people. Whether they have tattoos running up their neck or huge gages with the Mona Lisa hanging out their ears. I became immune to having some pretty gnarly looking people hanging out around the house. The thing is they were amazing people. Sure, they looked like they should be locked up in prison for life but I loved them. They made my life interesting.

Even with this I am so very guilty of letting my judgements of people define them. There is this huge, and massively expensive private school in my town; actually there are multiple. They have school on Saturdays leaving Sundays as their only day off. They would always come into town or into my place of work. I won’t lie I hated them. They were snobby, inconsiderate thirteen year olds who had purses worth more than my college education. When I saw them travelling in their pastel pack, my stomach would drop and my anger would rise. I think that this anger and judgement came from a place of feeling inadequate. I grew up in a wealthy town as a middle class girl. I always had this feeling like I wasn’t good enough, that I was always competing. These private kids represented everything that I once wanted to be. I put my inadequacy on their shoulders, and that's not fair to me or them. Sure, some of these kids are real assholes. But in their defense they don’t know any other kind of life that doesn’t consist of diamonds and jets. I don’t understand them and they don’t understand me; and that's okay. However, another thing is you can’t let a few select people define an entire population of people.

I truly believe that once you become content within yourself then you can reach a feeling of acceptance that broadens your world to a new realm of people. Don’t waste your time consuming your brain with negative thought, there is already enough negativity in this world. Be the person who goes high when they go low; the world needs you.