I'm Sick Of Racism In This Country

I'm Sick Of Racism In This Country

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jr.

6
I'm Sick Of Racism In This Country

The news has created countless thoughts to swirl around in my head that have kept me up at night, staring into the darkness of my room at 2 am. It took me awhile to gather my thoughts because I have gone through so many emotions over the past couple days.

Anger.

Sadness.

Utter disappointment and devastation.

Watching the video of George Floyd's murder literally made me sick to my stomach. When I think of that video all I say over and over in my head is that this should never have happened. This should NEVER have happened.

For all the civil rights leaders from the past who worked tirelessly to help this country. For all that Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and countless others have done to make a difference. For all their strength, determination, and perseverance. Why are we still seeing horrific treatments of blacks in America?

The ugly truth is that this mistreatment has been happening all over; the country as a whole has just failed to really notice until now. Whether it's a brutal arrest that turns into murder or more simply pulling over a young black man for no reason other than the color of his skin, both are unacceptable.

I think it is important to remember that not all police officers are like this. Many men and women serving on the force are honest, well-intentioned, and put their lives on the line to protect their communities. My mom was a prosecutor, so I have met much police who are kind, compassionate, and brave. But for the ones who aren't those things. For the ones that see darker skin color and react with violence and inhumanity. They should not be on the force; and the fact that these people still exist in a position of power over the common citizen shows that there is a major flaw in the system that needs to be corrected.

Now I will never understand what it is like to be black in this country. But as an Asian American, I have faced my fair share of stereotypes. Especially at the beginning of this pandemic, my family told me to be careful in public if I were to cough or sneeze because of my allergies. They told me if someone asked me where I'm from to say that I'm from Pittsburgh even though I was adopted from China. They told me that if anyone made a comment to me, that they would drive down to Kentucky and kick that person's ass. But I shouldn't have had to be told those things because they shouldn't have been issues, yet they were and are issued in our society. Now I can't imagine facing the stereotypes and discrimination that a black person faces, but I have faced my own versions and I support the black community as they face theirs.

It makes me sick that racism still exists in this country. It makes me sick that violence and hatred are so common in society today. It makes me sick to see innocent people fight for their lives and their rights.

We need to come together. We need to make a change. We need to do better.

It's time to end the injustice once and for all.