Why Christians Should Support The Black Lives Matter Movement

I'm A Christian Who Believes It's Biblical To Speak About Racial Injustices

If your church is staying silent, you should probably think about finding a different church.

962

First, I want to acknowledge my privilege as a white woman in America today. I usually don't have to worry about interactions with the police or jogging in a neighborhood. For the most part, I am free to do any of those things without thinking that something could go very wrong. I don't worry about being called a racial slur when I am out with friends. I don't worry about store employees looking at me differently because of the color of my skin. I don't have to worry about any of that.

Now, the real issue. Church leaders need to step up, they need to be vocal about what happened to George Floyd. The Bible is very clear when it comes to the injustices of the world. Proverbs 31:8 says to "speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed" and Isaiah 1:17 tells us to "learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows."

Some pastors will argue that it is wise to not speak, and on some level, I agree with them. It is wise to take some time, compose your thoughts — and then speak on those matters.

It is Biblical to stand against oppression and injustice, and if you speaking on it ruffles some feathers, good. It should do that.

I have been blessed with a wonderful church and wonderful leaders within my church who have spoken out against racial injustices, who have mourned and prayed and stood with members of the black community, they have loved and supported them.

I have been blessed with a diverse church and a pastor who speaks on injustices.

If your church leaders haven't, maybe it's time to find a new church.