If Westbrook Isn't MVP, Then Who Is?

If Westbrook Isn't MVP, Then Who Is?

How can you not be unanimous MVP, when you are averaging a triple double?

15
If Westbrook Isn't MVP, Then Who Is?
Espn.com

Here are some numbers for you. 31.4, 10.5, 10.4.

If you aren't a sports fan, these numbers might as well be Klingon to you.

And if you are a sports fan, you still may be confused.

Allow me to explain this sequence to you. These numbers represent the stats of a certain player in the NBA. They are averages per games. 31.4 points a game. 10.5 rebounds a game. And 10.4 assists a game.

So for my sports fans out there, I think you know what that means. If someone is averaging 31 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists a game, that means they are averaging a What?

Triple Double!!

Ding!! Ding!!

We have a winner!

Johnny, tell them what they won!!

Absolutely nothing!!

Because apparently averaging a triple double doesn't seem to hold value.

Let me back up. Because I am obviously coming across as a bit perturbed.

In basketball, averaging a triple double is huge. Some people don't have very many triple doubles in their career, let alone a single season.

So when Russell Westbrook, a guard for the Oklahoma City Thunder, accomplished this, it seemed evident that he would be the most valuable player. Right?

Wrong!! The race for MVP seems to be a tight one, with Westbrook as a front runner.

He is in the running with players such as Kawhi Leonard, Lebron James ,and James Harden.

More notably, Harden, a guard for the Houston Rockets.

And this isn't the first time that a player averaging a triple double didn't win MVP. About 50 years ago, a player by the name of Oscar Robertson, did just that. Now his loss came to another legend by the name of Bill Russell. And we all know about him. Probably the only Russell better than Westbrook. Robertson was in an MVP race with Russell as well as Wilt Chamberlain. So we can cut the NBA voting committee a little slack there.

But fast forward 50 or so years and here we are again. But this time there is no Russell or Chamberlain. So what's gonna be their excuse this time? Because last I checked, Harden was no Bill Russell or Chamberlain.

Now I have nothing against Harden. He is an amazing player. He is having his best season yet. His stats speak for itself. He is averaging 29.3 points.

8.0 rebounds, and 11.4 assists. So close to a triple double, but not quite. He has led his team to being one of the top overall teams in the league.

This is all fine and dandy, but it's still no triple double average.

And for all those saying it's not about stats. It's about who is the better player. Well stats seem to show who the best player is. I mean you can't say someone who is averaging 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists is better than Jordan. It makes no sense. That's like saying Lavar Ball could beat Michael Jordan one on on.

See? Pretty ridiculous.

I am not taking anything away from Harden and his accomplishments. Leading your team to being a top contender is amazing. But it doesn't make you MVP.

You can't say he deserves MVP because of his team’s record and that Westbrook doesn't because of his team’s record.

Because MVP is not about the team. If it was, it would be called Most Valuable Team, not player.

And there already is an award for that. It's called the NBA championship.

The MVP race is completely different. It focuses on the player, not the team. It focuses on a player’s stats.

And if you are focusing on that, then there is no question that the MVP is Westbrook. Period.

So ya, the Thunder don't have the best record. It's not Westbrook’s fault that his team sucks. It's Kd’s fault. Just kidding.

Westbrook has done everything he can do for his team. And if he hadn't played the way he did this year, his team would be worse off.

So we have to give credit where credit is do.

By the way, Westbrook just had the best game of his life, going 57, 13, and 11. Most points in a triple double game. And his team just clinched a playoff berth.

So who is the NBA MVP? I think it's obvious. Do you?