If ‘Gossip Girl’ Characters Were Michigan Colleges

Chuck Bass is MSU, Serena is UofM... read on to find out which other GG characters are connected to MI Universities

623
Instagram

Yes, 'Gossip Girl'. The infamous television drama series that took the world by storm from its air date in September 2007 until the final episode airing in December 2012. It's no secret... (get it because Gossip Girl reveals secrets) that this show was very popular, and the characters were very much special and unique in their own ways.

So what if the characters from 'Gossip Girl' were Michigan Colleges? Which University would fit one of the nine members of the elite upper east sider's personality? This is what I came up with.

DISCLAIMER: None of these descriptions are meant to put down a specific school. This is just meant to be fun!

Serena Van Der Woodsen is hands down the University of Michigan (U of M)

Not only is U of M "The It" college of Michigan, but Serena is "The It" girl of the Upper East Side. Everyone wants to be her, or be with her and everyone wants to attend U of M. It seems like most of the students at U of M are very much free-spirited, hippies, happy go lucky people. Serena, of course, fits that stereotype and is not selfish like most other colleges.

Yet, the University of Michigan seems to be a school where you rarely ever see the students doing anything BUT partying. I sometimes wonder how they got into UMich in the first place. Serena is definitely a partier and puts getting into a lot of trouble as her top priority, especially in the first few seasons of GG. The small-yet-big-city feel of Ann Arbor is a perfect fit for Serena, with all of the little cafés and hidden gems to be found. Everyone loves Serena and everyone loves U of M.

Blair Waldorf is no question Grand Valley State University (GVSU)

Blair is the epitome of the "work hard play hard" mentality. Those who attend GVSU definitely work hard to keep their GPA up while also keeping it classy when going out and partying. Most view Blair as a privileged and vain overachiever.

Those are the exact people that attend GVSU, a great majority of the universities students have their mommy's and daddy's pay for them to attend. The sassy but classy character is very unpredictable and dramatic, much like students attending GVSU. These students, for the most part, are very self-centered and only care about having fun and graduating. She is very insecure on the inside but on the outside, she is very much a confident human.

Blair would thrive in the big city of Grand Rapids, always finding things to do and minions to follow her. Everyone runs with the crowd and no one is independent at GVSU, making it a less diverse campus than most in Michigan. Blair is very protective of the things she cares most about, and Lakers are very protective of their University.

Chuck Bass is, without a doubt, Michigan State University (MSU)

It is no secret that Chuck Bass is a narcissist about his looks, his money, and about his life overall. Spartans seem to have a certain narcissistic nature to them as well, constantly believing that their school is better than everyone else's. Going along with that, Chuck was a very pompous human that used his money to do stupid things, not caring much if he ruins his reputation.

MSU students don't really seem to care much about their education as much as they should and don't care that they are spending their tuition on failing classes and getting drunk all the time. With that being said, MSU is, however, one of the better colleges that are in Michigan and Chuck Bass was one of the most popular characters on the show. Towards the end of the series, Bass had progressed a lot and got his shit together which seems to be a positive trend with MSU students.

Nate Archibald is the epitome of Western Michigan University (WMU)

Nate was seen as the Golden Boy of the Upper East Side. Intelligent, handsome, fit, and seemingly perfect in every way possible. It seems as though WMU used to be a really popular, well-liked university when it was first opened but now it seems as though fewer and fewer people are attending.

If you have watched Gossip Girl you would know that Nate was first seen as this perfect human, but then sort of spirals out of control into this poor, lost individual trying to figure out his life. Those are the kinds of people that seemingly go to WMU. This University is for those who have not figured out their lives but want to have the college experience at a reasonable price. Better known as Waste-ern, this is definitely a place where intelligent, hard-working students go to end up losing themselves in the long run. Only to finally find themselves again as Nate did.

Dan Humphrey is definitely Eastern Michigan University (EMU)

*Spoiler Alert* Dan Humphrey is Gossip Girl. Anybody who is somebody knows about Gossip Girl and would always go to her for advice, to give information. or to catch up on the gossip. Dan, aka GG, was also a friend that many people would go to, even if they really, really didn't want to. But Dan was always there for everyone, and that is the same for EMU.

It's not a surprise that most students that attend EMU don't actually want to attend this University but do because its cheap, convenient, and close to many students. EMU seems to stand alone in the realm of Universities in Michigan, as does Dan as the "lonely boy" pegged in season one of the series. There are many colleges around EMU but not many want to go to it. Lastly, Dan is unique and has many parallels to him which represent the very diverse community that EMU harbors.

Georgina Sparks is the spirit animal of Central Michigan University (CMU)

Georgina...well, she is a big drug addict and abuses both drugs and alcohol as a young socialite. Everyone who attends college in Michigan is aware that CMU is definitely the college to go if you want to spend the least amount of money but have the most *experiences.* Georgina is a very dirty, rude, privileged sociopath that always wants to get into everyone else's drama.

CMU doesn't exactly have the best college campus, and since its far from most things the students get into a lot of trouble. Those who attend this University do so to have a good time and hardly care about anything but that. Georgina was much the same, always seemingly working hard at getting into trouble and not working enough on herself and her education.

Vanessa Abrams is totally Oakland University (OU)

Vanessa does not bother to try changing herself for others and says what she truly thinks even if she knows that it will hurt others. She is a filmmaker and OU's major degrees are linked with the arts and the creative pieces students can make. Vanessa is also a political and social activist, and believes in helping people through whatever means possible. OU seems to have a very positive campus that allows students to exercise their beliefs and helping those in need.

Vanessa very much hates conformity and it seems as though OU is a very open community to anyone and everyone that attends. She is seen as more of a free spirit and does what she wants and those at OU seem to be rather chill and "seek virtue and knowledge" as Vanessa did through her run on the series.

Little Jenny Humphrey is a perfect fit as Wayne State University (WSU)

Little J started out her appearance on the series as a sweet and innocent young teen trying to figure out her life. Soon she became this very.. unique looking young adult. She is a very much a character that had a lot of changes to her overall character as the series went on. She has a very scary exterior about her but a surprising interior about her. This is the same as WSU, living in the heart of Detroit's art and musical district. Once visiting the campus, however, the students, programs and overall demeanor of the University is very surprising.

Jenny is a fashion designer and has a very creative side to her outward appearance and is very talented. Most students attending WSU are very talented and work very hard at their college career. Not to mention that WSU's fashion design program is very prominent in the University.

Last, but not least.. Eric Van Der Woodsen is for sure Ferris State University (FSU)

Eric wasn't exactly a main character in the show and was often forgotten about in the long run. However, Eric was still an important roll in the series. He was a very misunderstood character that ended up coming out as gay in the second season of the series. Eric is often times shown to be kind and friendly to almost anyone. FSU is a notoriously forgotten about University in Michigan but still has a very significant roll in the lives of many.

Many think that this University is just a place for students to go to college and party and that there aren't many good programs but that is the contrary. Most students that attend FSU are seemingly very kind and interested in their overall success as a student. And of course, a little over half of the campus is male making it easy for Eric to find a suitable boy toy.

Michigan Colleges may all be unique and diverse in their own ways but all come together to create a special community, much like the Upper East Side community of 'Gossip Girl'.

XOXO Gossip Girl