If I Follow

If I Follow

Chapter One: New Kid

9
If I Follow
Wesharepics

As I watched the sunlight dance through my window and onto the wall, I realized how much color is trapped within the glass and wished that I could free it. Almost as much as I wished I could free myself from the insomnia caused by my starting another school. I didn't mind so much to be the new kid, I liked the attention I got. Especially in a small town where everybody knows everybody, I was certain my arrival would be shocking and exciting. On another note, I wanted the teachers to like me. I wanted to be accepted. I shook my head and kicked off my comforter. No need to focus on the negative. Happy thoughts breed happy days.

I ran down the stairs, throwing a pale yellow sweater over my head as I went. "Grab the umbrella," my beautiful mother called. "It's raining."

I rounded the corner to see her smiling face. Always so positive. She was wearing all dark colors because she worked at a new law firm across town but she still lit up the room with her radiant smile and rosy cheeks. People always said that I was just like her and I always hoped they were right.

"What's the matter," she asked as I stood there.

"You're so pretty, mom," I said as I walked up to her and hugged her tightly. Her auburn hair covered my face but I did not care. This woman was the most amazing person I had ever met and I was lucky enough to be raised by her. "You're my hero. I love you."

"You are one amazing boy, JC," she stated shakily as she squeezed back. I kissed her wet cheek and headed to the door. "Have a good day, JonJon. Text me if you need me. I love you, whole sky full!"

I had just reached the edge of the drive, rain splashing up onto my pants, when the bus pulled up.

I walked up the slippery steps and extended my hand to the driver. "Jonathan Carter, new kid," I stated. He took my hand, shook it and said, "Claude Jennings, bus driver." I flashed him a smile and made my way to an empty seat in the middle of the bus. I sat there in silence, happiness and anxiousness fighting in my chest. Nonetheless, I was determined to have a great first day.