Idolizing Prominent Figures In Today's Society

919

Inherently instilled in today's social fiber is the idolization of prominent figures of who represent the epitome of success within their associated industries. Examples of this pattern are exemplified in figures ranging from famous actors, to dominant athletes, to political heads of office. What common traits do all of these figures share? The answer is wealth, influence, and success. Where the water begins to lose its transparency, is in the breakdown of these figures as actual role models for our generation.

Growing up a citizen of the free state, can morph you into a product of the free state. More money and less problems is the ideal that we cherish and advertise to each and every generation. Is it wrong to strive for success? Of course not, but our definition of success today comes at a compromising moral cost. Be richer than thy neighbor, work hard so that thy neighbor covets your possessions. The 21st century version of the Bible might as well be written by Mark Cuban (cue Rajon Rondo joke).

In today's modern era, social media is relevant to every facet of culture, and it provides a bridge between these idolized figures and the everyday person. Which means that we subconsciously observe and absorb all of the content provided by these figures. We see unparalleled amounts of wealth, lifestyles that are portrayed as utopian, beautiful women on the arms of prominent men, and endless exotic venues enjoyed leisurely by the wealthy. Instinctively, we are drawn to these lifestyles and place them upon a mental pedestal.

The idolization of athletes has its positives and negatives. On one hand, we admire their work ethic and the fact they have acquired generational wealth by playing the sport that they love. On the other hand, there are numerous athletes who are admired, but whose negative contributions to society outweigh their athletic accomplishments. Steroids remain to be and will continue to be an issue at all levels of the sporting world, because they provide a means to get a leg up on your competition. The media exposes the consequences of steroids, but only after immense coverage on what that specific athlete has accomplished, before he or she got busted.

Naturally, that's why the story is relevant. Examples of this are seen in the cases of Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, and many more. These individuals are all around great athletes except for one small detail: they cheated. We have desensitized athletic greatness to such an extent that steroids are only the tip of the iceberg with regard to the general perspective on athletes. Floyd Mayweather has been arrested or cited for violence seven times against a total of five different women, and he is still viewed as the current American patriarch of boxing. The point being that we should instead focus on a different image of athletes: those who work hard to gain success and have made the right decisions in life, such as not beating up women, taking steroids, etc.

The idolization of celebrities is a much murkier, less black and white issue, as opposed to idolizing an athlete. Many celebrities exemplify the great aspects of having success by using their influence positively, through shedding light on social issues that otherwise would not gain exposure, or by utilizing their lucrative lifestyles to give back to charities and other organizations that do global good. Others choose to take advantage of their wealth by allowing it to consume them in a fashion that is beneficial to only themselves, at the expense of those that idolize them.

In her prime, Miley Cyrus was the voice of a generation for girls growing up. She supposedly personified the ideal celebrity role model. She was originally seen as a talented actor and successful musician. A humble, and a good looking girl from the heartland of the United States. As many celebrities do in a situation similar to hers, the reality and pressures of fame took a tole on her, and she gradually transitioned from America's sweetheart to the infamous troublemaker who is getting in trouble with Johnny law, and is physically exposing herself, in every medium possible. Not the best role model for young girls, I would say. Kim Kardashian, debatably the most trending person in the United States, became famous due to a sex tape that was released that featured her and her famous ex-boyfriend, Ray-J.

The point of writing this isn't to say that you shouldn't idolize famous people. It is to instill an awareness to differentiate those who are worth idolizing, from those who do more social harm than good. Admire success when it is treated properly. Admire charitable, successful people who use their influence and wealth in a positive fashion to progress the cultural landscape of the U.S. Don't idolize those who use their influence to expose youth to ideals that are based upon greed, narcissism, and the utilization of self-degradation, as a tool to gain fame.