I Believe In And Reaffirm The Power Of Love
relationships

It is OK to reopen your heart to love.

81
Jewel Murphy

I believe in the power of love. The dictionary definition of the word "love" is an intense feeling of deep affection. You can love hard or not love at all. This is my story of why I believe in the power of love.

My freshman year of high school I met a boy who was a junior. I was young and naïve I believed everything this boy had told me. The beginning of our relationship was nothing but pure bliss and happiness. The second half of our relationship, he changed. He became aggressive and demanding towards me. He was emotionally, mentally and sexually abusive. I couldn't let go because I loved him, and when I love, I love hard. He would make me feel little by telling me "you're not pretty enough, no one will ever love you as much as I do." I hated that I listened to him, he killed my self- confidence.

I thought the abuse would end when our relationship ended. It didn't. It carried over to even after he had graduated. I was scared to be who I was because of him. I lost friends, I lost relationships and I even lost myself. A boy broke me. I let him break me. This will forever be the biggest regret of my entire life. I am proud of myself. I escaped from the nightmare, all by myself. I gained the courage to leave.

After all the hurt and pain, I endured, God answered my prayers. I met the most amazing man that could ever walk this Earth. I was mesmerized by him and fell instantly in love. I met him by accident one day while I was in a class he was in, he honestly got on my nerves and I thought he was so annoying. I think I truly hid how I felt about him because he has had my heart since the moment I laid eyes on him. Jakob is insanely intelligent, so passionate about life and just handsome. He is my best friend and my soulmate all in one. He helped me gain every ounce of self-confidence I lost back. He would tell me every day "Jeweleanna, you are the most beautiful person to ever walk this earth. God truly blessed me with you." Without Jakob's love and support, I do not know what kind of person I would be. He is so patient, and he took time to understand the pain I endured before him.

We hit a rough patch in our relationship, and for us to grow as individuals we needed to separate. The conversation hard to carry through the number of tears and gasping for air, and the holding on to each other. The pain made me feel as if, I was drowning like I was being hit with thousands of waves all at once. I loved this boy and I had to leave him.

A few weeks later we reunited because I knew he's meant in my life. I couldn't imagine my life without him in it. I know he will always be there for me. I know he will be my biggest supporter. I know that he loves me and that makes me not to lose hope. Jakob made me believe that even though bad people come along, with enough patience and understanding things will turn around. I remember thanking him through my tears for changing my life. For loving me. For making me believe I am beautiful. And for making me feel in the power of love again.