I'm Having A Life Crisis In College And Here Is Why That's Okay

I can't quite classify it as a midlife crisis, but it's kind of a midlife crisis.

28
Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash

I went into college pretty confident about what I wanted to do. I wanted to, and still want to, be a writer. Being a freelance writer would be a dream, but is that going to pay the bills? Heck no! I can of course still utilize my writing skills into some other career path, but that is my issue. I don't know what career path that will be.

I am currently majoring in communications, which is exactly what I want to do. I can go in so many different directions with it, that's why I like it so much. However, I'm scared that it's not quite enough. I feel like I HAVE to minor in something or even...DOUBLE MAJOR! I know I'm not required to, but if I truthfully want to make money it kind of becomes requirement. I know happiness doesn't come from money, but it helps.

You may be wondering what other options I've been considering, or you may not be wondering at all whatsoever. I'll inform you anyways. I was going to consider a real estate minor, which I know what you're thinking, "You don't need a degree to be a real estate agent." You definitely are not wrong about that at all, but it's definitely beneficial. It would put me ahead of the average person. I was then considering a minor or double major in finance. I know, I'm a words person. Mixing that with a number oriented major sounds dangerous. However, I could do A LOT with that. Finance isn't what's appealing, it's the job opportunities I could get with my communications major. This isn't the end of it though, I am also considering minoring in health management. I was not considering this last week, but I talked to my adviser and now I am considering it along with all these other things.

As you can tell, I am a mess. My thoughts are all over the place. You might be wondering when I am going to shut up about myself and tell you how it's okay to be having a crisis like this. Well, it's time. It is 100% okay to be all over the place. I'm only a first semester sophomore. I have time to have a crisis. So, if you're a freshman you definitely have time for a crisis. If you're a junior, don't worry, you even have time. Seniors on the other hand, get your crap together! I mean that from the bottom of my heart. There is plenty of resources and it is still okay if you are a little unsure.

What I want you to get out of this is that everything is fine. It may seem like the end of the world, like seriously, but it's not. Everything will eventually work out. I can promise you that. I can also promise that everything isn't going to fall into your lap. You do need to take steps to figure things out. On the bright side though, there are tons of people around you who want to help and see you succeed. You are never alone in anything.