Humans Of New York And Hillary Clinton
Politics

Humans Of New York And Hillary Clinton

They see the microscope Hillary has been put under for over 20 years.

25
Humans Of New York And Hillary Clinton
Humans of New York

The Facebook account Humans of New York is an iconic social media page. With more than 17 million likes, the page features snapshots of New Yorkers as well as a paragraph sharing their stories. Usually, the people featured are not famous. On September 8th, the page posted a photo with a more familiar face. The Democratic Party presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton.

Two photos of Clinton were featured. The first photo along with a caption below:

“I was taking a law school admissions test in a big classroom at Harvard. My friend and I were some of the only women in the room. I was feeling nervous. I was a senior in college. I wasn’t sure how well I’d do. And while we’re waiting for the exam to start, a group of men began to yell things like: ‘You don’t need to be here.’ And ‘There’s plenty else you can do.’ It turned into a real ‘pile on.’ One of them even said: ‘If you take my spot, I’ll get drafted, and I’ll go to Vietnam, and I'll die.’ And they weren’t kidding around. It was intense. It got very personal. But I couldn’t respond. I couldn’t afford to get distracted because I didn’t want to mess up the test. So I just kept looking down, hoping that the proctor would walk in the room. I know that I can be perceived as aloof or cold or unemotional. But I had to learn as a young woman to control my emotions. And that’s a hard path to walk. Because you need to protect yourself, you need to keep steady, but at the same time you don’t want to seem ‘walled off.’ And sometimes I think I come across more in the ‘walled off’ arena. And if I create that perception, then I take responsibility. I don’t view myself as cold or unemotional. And neither do my friends. And neither does my family. But if that sometimes is the perception I create, then I can’t blame people for thinking that.”

The second photo along with a caption below:

“I’m not Barack Obama. I’m not Bill Clinton. Both of them carry themselves with a naturalness that is very appealing to audiences. But I’m married to one and I’ve worked for the other, so I know how hard they work at being natural. It’s not something they just dial in. They work and they practice what they’re going to say. It's not that they're trying to be somebody else. But it's hard work to present yourself in the best possible way. You have to communicate in a way that people say: ‘OK, I get her.’ And that can be more difficult for a woman. Because who are your models? If you want to run for the Senate, or run for the Presidency, most of your role models are going to be men. And what works for them won’t work for you. Women are seen through a different lens. It’s not bad. It’s just a fact. It’s really quite funny. I’ll go to these events and there will be men speaking before me, and they’ll be pounding the message, and screaming about how we need to win the election. And people will love it. And I want to do the same thing. Because I care about this stuff. But I’ve learned that I can’t be quite so passionate in my presentation. I love to wave my arms, but apparently that’s a little bit scary to people. And I can’t yell too much. It comes across as ‘too loud’ or ‘too shrill’ or ‘too this’ or ‘too that.’ Which is funny, because I’m always convinced that the people in the front row are loving it.”

In these posts Hillary Clinton addressed the unfavorable opinions some Americans have towards her. Many Americans find her to be cold, walled off or aggressive. She addressed her constant scrutiny. As I skimmed through the comments below both photos there were countless comments from women and men that share or understand her struggle. They see the microscope Hillary has been put under for over 20 years.

Clinton recognizes the sexism she faces. Regardless of political affiliation, Hillary Clinton has yet again, recognized her flaws, shared her story and put herself out there for criticism and she should be applauded for that.