Make Humanity Great For Once

Make Humanity Great For Once

This election season, just remember who makes up this country.

19
Make Humanity Great For Once
Wall Street Journal

We've been in the midst of one of the most polarizing election seasons in history. It seems as though anyone on the left tends to harp on Trump's disgraceful degradation of women, while those on the right focus on Hillary's email scandal and her husband's horrific past. Each side has a legitimate argument against the other when it comes to twisted morals. Whether or not they've moved past those issues or feel justified in the decisions they've made, both are undoubtedly corrupt in one way or another. Therefore, no matter which side you support, I don't think you can argue that one side is the right choice for purely moral reasons.

Famed YouTuber Casey Neistat recently uploaded a video in which he urges Americans to vote for Hillary Clinton in the upcoming election. He basically claims that if Donald Trump were to be elected, utter chaos would ensue in this country. I am very much paraphrasing here, so don't take this as a quote. As well, to clarify, I am a huge fan of Casey. I watch his videos all the time, as should you. I just happen to disagree with the way he approached this. He seems to believe that it is our duty as American citizens to vote for Hillary, because by either voting for Trump or any other party, we would be a contributing factor to the mess that Trump would make in her absence. I don't disagree that Trump would not be a good president. I don't think either of them are ideal, especially not Trump. However, Casey's point is mostly rooted in Trump being immoral, and that this whole election is about morals now. To me, that is so far from the truth. As I explained, everyone's moral judgment is flawed. We all have different opinions and make mistakes in our lives. Some of those we may think are worse than others. But Hillary has evidently done a number of immoral things in her life, along with helping others do immoral and even illegal things in the past.

It is certainly the case that Donald's issues center around social topics - specifically peoples like women and minorities. Therefore, more people feel directly attacked by what Trump has done or said. Hillary's acts have come to the public in more subtle ways, showing her involvement to be less direct and honestly showing that she has done a way better job of covering her tracks. To me, that also says she is a good deceiver… not a fantastic trait as a president.

To clarify, in no way is this article pro-Trump. The only reason I'm talking about the issues with Hillary more than Donald's is because they aren't as prominent. No one needs to clarify Trump's struggle with presidential fitness. In fact, this article is supporting exactly zero of the candidates running for any party, including independents. The only reason I've spent this much text discussing the election is to make it clear that both candidates come with their own baggage, overflowing with untrustworthy and disgusting behavior.

This article is about you, the voter. The human. She says she's "Fighting For Us," but she's only fighting for the US. He says he wants to "Make America Great Again," but remind me, when was America great again? The issue is far beyond this election, and is so ingrained in Americans these days, that we can only hope for some revival within American thinking to crack down on one of the biggest issues not only in our country but in the world. Why are we, the citizens of the United States, so important? Why do any of us matter any more than some random citizen from any other country? As humans, many of us preach that we must care for all of humanity. Well, then we should stop acting like it's our country's job to do good. We as Americans should stop relying on our nation to solve the world's problems. We as humans need to care for everyone of our kind.

If you want the world to be a better place, go do something about it. Sure, many of us are constrained to a job within America, but that's okay. Americans are humans just like anyone else. Making a difference in one human's life is making a difference in humanity. So do your part every day. Sure, make an informed decision this election season and choose who you think will support the type of country you want to live in. However, don't let the icon that we sometimes allow our president to be constitute who you are in any capacity. You are a human, not just an American. Be you, not the person you see on T.V. And don't conform to the immorality that our country will inevitably be represented by, for we need to set an example and act beyond the election. Hillary or Trump will be as much of America as anyone of you are right now. So if we, the humans that live in this country, can overwhelm the immorality with good, then this country will be better than it ever has been before.

It's up to us, not the president. Let's make humanity great. If it starts with America, so be it. But what matters are not simply American lives. What matters are lives. All of them. All of us.