Let's Talk, Not Fight, About The 2016 Election

The moment we're all talking about.

11
dailymail.co.uk

Everyone is talking about this election. A lot of people are disappointed and scared, while the others are raving in happiness. The globe is shaking their heads at us, while our country seems to be speechless. There are many aspects of this result that shocks me and should shock others too. We are a country who has become divided based on sex, race, and gender. Yes, for quite some time there has been police brutality and the fight for gay marriage, but nothing as outwardly exposed as the reflection of this election. This election has allowed people to think calling out others and discriminating against one group is acceptable. Well, it’s not

With these attitudes, we are taking steps backward. This isn’t to say everyone is doing this, and everyone who is a Trump supporter is a sexist. That argument was hard for me to understand, and I think it is hard for many other opposing forces to understand as well. The main point is that people should be protesting change in the government. It is sad it has been reason for people to vote for Trump, because whether he does something or not it is a change.

But we have to be careful with that. As badly as we want these things, we shouldn’t settle. Like anything in life, you aren’t going to settle for a boring job or a greedy husband. It doesn’t help when the two candidates up for this battle were Clinton and Trump. There is the first error. But now we have Trump as the President. His plans have not been implemented yet, but what we must not let happen is allow his actions that we’ve observed leading up to this day to never continue.

The Senate and the House must not give in to his insane plans of building a wall and deporting all immigrants or getting rid of gay marriage. Change is necessary and we should push to end the corruptive government, but not with his tactics of racism, sexism, and bigotry. Recognize we have the same goal. We want change, we want more say in our country, we want protection and safety and equality, and right now the elites are dominating. This election will go down in history as one of the most shocking things to happen to this nation. America is much more divided than we could have ever thought.

Whether it was the idea of silent voters or a build up of hate against the government, we must glue America back together.

First a bit of my continued opinion on Trump. Don’t get me wrong, Hilary has her downfalls, but I am focusing on Trump here because he will be the man in office in January. Trump has also proven to me to not be a moral or respectable human.

Hilary tried, even with her lies, she tried to compose herself as one of the people. She was sticking up for others and she was campaigning to build America back up and protect all people. She sure as hell didn’t endorse hate. It is hard for me, being the way I was raised, and the amazing people I surround myself with, to hear some of them telling me they voted for Trump.

I don’t care if you are republican, democratic or independent. We should all have some similar motives here; peace, equality, justice, integrity, safety, love and the list can continue. These values aren’t upheld by Donald Trump. He is a man who we have seen countless times ridicule women, make fun of people with disabilities, humiliate immigrants, and act like a foolish reality TV star, when at most times becomes disrespectful. In his support people acknowledge this language as honesty. Honesty can hurt, but it has boundaries. We have free speech, but it shouldn’t be turned into hate speech. There is no excuse for Trump’s racist, sexist, bigotry, and hateful words and actions.

Put yourself in the shoes of these Muslims or Mexicans or women who are the targets; I don’t think you would be supporting him then, and if you do you’ve truly lost your integrity and dignity. The type of man Donald Trump is what should be the face of the argument.

And yes, people are saying he’s a good businessman, he says it how it is, or we don’t need another politician in office. Well first of all politics is politics and knowing the ins and outs, with the right agenda is a helpful pro to have. We need a balance of knowing how to operate a country properly but also someone who is backing up the right policies.

Your vote isn’t split into pieces and distributed, it represents his entirety. However, that being said if you voted for Hilary your vote goes to her entirety as well. I am not saying all Trump supporters are racists, but that vote counts as a vote, as one vote adding to the count for everything Trump represents. I wish people could have weighed out the pros and cons a bit more and I wish we had better options.

For me, I look at the human rights issues way more than many people probably would. To the Trump supporters who aren’t racist and sexist, it is your duty to woo the other Trump supporters to make them understand the discrimination must stop. To the Hilary supporters or Trump opposers, if you claim "love trumps hate" don't be hateful yourselves. Treat other the way you want to be treated. Allow your actions to support your words. Every human has a position in bridging this gap.

The election left us to choose between a liar and a bastard, and that in itself is embarrassing. However, people had to choose, and if you couldn’t choose, write your own name in, try and get Obama back, who knows, but do something. Think about how many people live in America…if we were so unhappy with both candidates we could have done something about that.

Even though we did get the greatest turnout of votes in history, not everyone voted. Some people were lazy, forgot, or didn’t care enough, but everyone should care about this. This is our country, our home. People in countries around the world wish for many of the opportunities and privileges we have here in our democracy. It's your civic duty to care. And if many of you didn’t vote because you couldn’t choose between the two, at least vote for the House and Senate.

There is always an option. We are the people. We are the what should be dictating the country and making the right changes. This is another issue with the election, is that we didn’t fight for better choices. Politics in itself is mostly corrupt and narrow-minded, media and government the same. Instead of fueling ourselves on either one of these candidates bullshit, we could have taken a different path. And this whole corrupt and unfair title of the government and elite is true and is true in almost any sector you look at, whether it’s the environment or the economy.

The elite and the wealthy are what is controlling our little puppet strings. So the biggest issue we must face is fixing this divide, and making the gap between the rich and poor smaller in hopes it disappears. Trump claims he is trying to bring our nation together, and will be the President for everyone. I am doubtful, but I am praying some kind of miracle turns this whole thing around. He can’t bring us together through hate and separation. We must respect one another, and be open minded to differences. The President is just one man. We can decide what we want this world to become and be known as across the world. So instead of being angry at the other side for winning or losing, come together.

As cheesy as it sounds, give up your reputations and your fake hierarchies because now is a very fragile time where we must piece our country back together. Trump won fair and square. The election is over. Don’t fight, don’t ridicule people's characters, and don’t give up. The United States of America is the melting pot for a reason. We are filled with diversity and creativity, freedom of speech, freedom of choice, education, food and water, and a variety of platforms for opportunity. Don’t lose sight of the good with the bad. No matter who you voted for, this is where we are now.