How To Take Your Health To A New Level Of Vitality

Raw Vegan Insight

29
Tianna Hill

What is a Mono Meal?

Since I decided to follow a plant-based diet in April of 2015, I have experimented with a variety of versions of the “plant-based diet”. So far, out of all of the experimentations, I have found the greatest benefits from following a very simple raw diet incorporating mono meals of fruit. I never imagined how good it would feel to follow a raw vegan diet for a long period of time until I attended the Woodstock Fruit Festival this past August. For 7 days and ate only raw whole fruits and vegetables and many mono meals of the best fruits I have ever tasted. I experienced a new level of vitality and energy while at the fruit fest. I have compiled my knowledge and experience of what raw mono meals have to offer for your health below.

Mono-Meal: A meal consisting of just one ingredient (i.e. a meal of mangos, a meal of bananas, a meal of pineapple…)

Digestion

Mono meals are incredibly helpful for your body’s digestive productivity. Eating multi-ingredient meals requires more energy from your digestive system. Different enzymes are required to break down sugar, carbohydrates, protein, and fats; digesting a meal of eggs, toast, juice, and bacon is a multi-enzymatic task. If the digestive system is overloaded with enzymatic activity the acids can cancel out enzymes; this causes food to ferment in the body and fail to digest. Undigested food can lead to many gastrointestinal ailments; if you are in need of digestive health improvement eating more mono meals will help tremendously.

Ingredient Awareness

By eating many meals that each consist of just one ingredient will easily teach you how certain foods make you feel. You can compare how different mono meals how you feel to gage what foods make you feel best; everyone’s digestive system is different and getting to know what foods are optimal for you helps remarkably. I learned about my body that mono meals of watermelon are optimal for my breakfast meal; I feel the most energized and vibrant when I eat an abundance of hydrating melon in the morning.

High Energy Levels

As I explained above, mono meals are ideal for digestion and intuitive eating; these benefits naturally provide you with an abundance of energy. Since your body is not working hard to digest so many ingredients and you have chosen to eat a mono meal that you know will make you feel good your body is going to have extra positive energy that you can devote to exercise and work.

Blood Sugar Levels

Most people who are new to the concept of a mono meal are typically most concerned about the amount of sugar being consumed. Humans are tropical creatures; our biological DNA is closest to frugivorous, meaning feeding on fruit (primates). Our bodies are biologically designed to eat fruit; the ratio of sugar, fiber, protein, fat, and vitamins in whole fruits are most compatible with the ratio of nutritional need in humans. The fiber in the fruit slows the sugar from being quickly released into the blood stream, preventing the blood sugar from sparking and then crashing. Human cells are fueled by glucose and the fear of fruit sugar should be diminished, as whole fruit is the most compatible for maintaining balances blood sugar levels.

Simplicity and Time

It takes about 5 seconds to thrown 5 oranges in your backpack on the way out the door; this is what I do many mornings when I am in a rush. Meal planning is so simple when there is only one ingredient involved. You get to pick whatever fruit sounds most appealing and eat it in abundance until you are satiated. It is so fast and easy to prepare fruit to bring on the go and to prepare meals to eat, it is a matter of seconds to begin eating a meal. People often say it is difficult to eat healthy, I find this way of eating to be much easier and faster then dealing with pots and pans and cooking.

Portion Control

When you eat an entire meal of one food you really get to know the taste and texture of the food; your body will clearly tell you when it is time to stop eating by adjusting the taste buds to lose the appeal of the food when you are satiated. Many foods that are a part of the standard American diet are highly addictive; they are partially responsible for the issue of overeating and obesity in our country. By avoiding addictive ingredients you are avoiding the challenge of not over eating.

Food Appreciation

The more mono meals you eat, the more your taste buds crave the healthy foods. Your taste buds works in synchrony with your health, as your body learns how beneficial the mono meals are for digestion and energy, it will begin to crave and enjoy the taste of the healthy foods more than any old favorite junk foods. This is something that is incredible to experience; when eating optimal foods your body responds in incredible ways.

My Advise: I know it sounds ridiculous to eat a whole meal of just one fruit, however, it is something that once you experience it all makes sense. If eating 3 mono meals a day sounds too difficult, a great way to start is simply by eating fruit first. Before cooking a meal for yourself have a few pieces of fruit to allow your cravings to be brought into line. Another idea is to eat the 1st meal of the day raw or maybe the 1st and the 2nd; whatever you feel is ideal for your needs. Be sure to listen to your body and your hunger; being in tune with your body will help you to know what foods are best for you and your health. Watching testimonial videos on YouTube about following a raw vegan diet is something I have found very helpful in gaining insight on this lifestyle.