How To Survive Winter Break at Home

How To Survive Winter Break at Home

A Survival Guide to Winter Break Away From College

21
How To Survive Winter Break at Home

Finals are done and graded. You have your car packed and are getting ready to leave your college town to head home for the Holidays. Sure it sounds great to see your family, and pets you left behind, but the nostalgia will soon run out, and you will remember why you wanted to get away for a little while. So what are some ways to pass the time until after the New Year, when you can make your escape back to college?

• 1)Call up old friends.

These are the friends that you graduated with, and have talked to a couple of times since you moved away. This is NOT for old flames, though I know it can be tempting.

• 2)Hang out with extended family.

When I left for college the first time my cousins were 8, 10, and 14. Now they are 2 years older, and they love to hang out with their cousin that goes to college and doesn’t see them often. Chances are you will learn some things about them too, and they aren’t the immature kid they were when you left.

3)Don’t be afraid to do things by yourself

When wrapping the presents gets to be too much, don’t be afraid to go out to eat and get a drink (or 6, just have a driver on speed dial). You have been on your own for at least 6 months by now, no one will blame you for needing to get out for a little bit.

• 4)Go to a High School Basketball Game

I know you said you’d never step foot in that place again, but hear me out. This was the place you spent four years of your life. Surely, there were a few teachers you liked, and chances are you will see at least one of them you know. Also, if it hasn’t been 5 years since you graduated, you probably still have some friends that are still in school. This is a cheap way to see them, and reminisce the misery that was High School.

• 5)MOST IMPORTANTLY! Try to enjoy the time with your family.

Believe it or not, your family has missed you more than you will ever know. Your little brother/sister is trying to get used to you not being there for them to look up to. Your parents are trying to get used to not waking you up for school every day. They can’t seem to grasp how you survive without them when you’re away. So grit your teeth say “Okay mom and dad,” and let them feel like they are in control at least for a little while.