101 Reasons To Live

101 Reasons To Live

"Always default to the preciousness of others."

461
101 Reasons To Live
@casstolliver Instagram

September is suicide awareness month. But I don't think it should take a specific month, a terrible incident, or particular news story to enhance the value we place on other people's lives. My high school band director taught me a lot. Music mostly, but the best thing he ever said to my fellow musicians and I was, "always default to the preciousness of others."

Make it your natural mental state. That every life has infinite and unmatchable value, and we must do everything we can possible to proclaim, encourage and emphasize this value. Humanity is precious. Each soul is a unique work of irreplaceable art.

Your best friend is art. Your mom is art. Your significant other is art. Your bus driver is art. That random person you sit by in class on Tuesdays and Thursdays is art. The guy at your workplace who isolates himself is art. The kid you picked on in middle school is art. The people who pick on you are art. Your professor is art. Your brother is art. You are art.

As a collective whole, we need to check up on one another. We need to have those hard, real, and vulnerable conversations with one another. Mental health is important, and we need to remind each other of that. That yes the dark is heavy, but the hope is both heavier and lighter at the same time, and that's what we should give in to.

According to WHO, about one million people commit suicide each year worldwide. That's about 3,000 deaths per day. About one death every 40 seconds. These people are best friends, mothers, bus drivers, students, employees, significant others. They were art.

There are one million reasons to live. I promise. There are infinite possibilities both within us and around us. The big and little things alike are reasons to wake up every morning and try again.

Try again. Try again. Try again. Please. I bet you can come up with at least a thousand reasons to live if you sit down and think about it. I care about you, dear reader. So let me help. Here are 101 to get you started.

IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW ARE STRUGGLING WITH SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND/OR TENDENCIES, REACH OUT IMMEDIATELY. NO ONE SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS ALONE. SUICIDE IS SERIOUS.

National Suicide Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255 - available 24/7

1. Your parents will never ever get over it. 

2. Your sibling(s) will miss you forever.

3. Your best friend needs you. 

4. Your dog won't understand why you're gone.

5. Your favorite meal.

6. The next album from your favorite artist you haven't heard yet.

7. Sunrises. 

8. Sunsets.

9. Falling in love.

10. Graduating from high school and/or college.

11. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

12. Going to museums.

13. Travel.

14. Chocolate.

15. All the people you have yet to meet.

16. All the days you have yet to seize.

17. All the opportunities you have yet to take advantage of.

18. All the miracles you have ye to witness and experience.

19. Coffee shops and coffee mugs and coffee.

20. The possibility of being a mother or a father.

21. You've already made it this far.

22. All the stories you have yet to read.

23. You are STRONG. Stronger than you think.

24. Cuddling.

25. Laughing until you cry.

26. All the new places you have yet to see.

27. Any and every dessert. Ice cream, cake, popcorn, pie, all of it. 

28. Staying up all night with the people you love. 

29. Road trips. 

30. Falling asleep in the rain. 

31. Accomplishing your goals. 

32. Chasing your dreams. 

33. Your favorite season of the year. 

34. You have forever to be dead, but you only have now to be alive. 

35. That first kiss. 

36. And all the kisses that follow. 

37. Seeing your favorite musicians in concert. 

38. There is only one, unique you. 

39. The world won't be the same without you. 

40. Really good workouts. 

41. Jesus loves you. 

42. Jesus wants you. 

43. Stargazing.

44. New seasons of your favorite T.V. shows. 

45. Going on dates. 

46. Helping other people. 

47. You have a story to tell. 

48. The ​​8 BILLION other lives you have the ability to touch. ​​

49. Donuts.

50. National Parks.

51. Sleeping in. 

52. Christmas.

53. Cheering on your favorite sports team. 

54. Being the someone another person looks up to. 

55. Being a part of your family. 

56. Traditions. 

57. Getting to be a part of history. 

58. Watching children you know grow up. 

59. Freshly washed sheets. 

60. Getting a perfect parking spot. 

61. Being able to say you're alive. 

62. Being a part of something bigger than yourself. 

63. More people than you realize will miss you. 

64. Fresh manicures and pedicures. 

65. Books you can't put down. 

66. Art to see and art to create. 

67. Holding hands. 

68. Good hair days. 

69. You are here for a reason.

70. Your life isn't an accident.

71. Hobbies you love. 

72. Dancing like nobody's watching. 

73. Learning new things. 

74. Sticking your head out of the sunroof. 

75. Taking photographs. 

76. The perfect playlist. 

77. Writing. 

78. Memories. 

79. Catching up with people you haven't seen in a while. 

80. Spontaneity. 

81. Marriage. 

82. Days spent in the sunshine. 

83. Problems don't last forever. 

84. Jesus thinks you're worth dying for. 

85. So much so that He did. 

86. Movie marathons. 

87. Newness. 

88. Going to church on Sunday mornings. 

89. The fact that there is always more to discover. 

90. Brunch. 

91. Your group of friends adores you. 

92. New friendships yet to be made. 

93. Holidays. 

94. Proving your doubts wrong. 

95. Waking up to snow on the ground. 

You never know what tomorrow might hold. 

97. You are exquisitely beautiful. 

98. The weekend. 

99. There will never be anyone else like you. 

100. I care about you. 

101. Somebody always cares about you.