How To Set Boundaries With Friends because COVID

There is still very much a pandemic going on. It's okay to set boundaries.

48

I've noticed what a friend called "pandemic hypocrisy" with a lot of people lately. So, please keep in mind that you should practice what you preach. That being said, here are some suggestions for setting boundaries.

1. Don't Be Afraid to Say No 

If someone has an idea to do something that you feel uncomfortable with, like taking public transportation or going out to eat inside a restaurant, don't be afraid to say no. A great way to get around this is to suggest a few things that you ARE comfortable with.

Some COVID friendly ideas I've been loving are:

Going on a walk outside or a hike.

Hanging out in my backyard. When it was warmer we'd go in my pool but now since it's colder we sit around my fire pit!

Eating at a restaurant outdoors.

2. Explain Your Comfort Level

I have some friends that aren't seeing people at all, some friends who prefer we wear masks and keep a distance, some friends who are okay not wearing masks and being close and some friends who are okay with not wearing masks, but keeping a safe distance. Everyone's comfort level is different, so don't be afraid to define your boundaries.

Personally, I'm okay with being around a few of my friends without masks because I consider them my "quarantine bubble" meaning we all trust each other to be taking safe measures. Some friends who aren't being so safe I keep a bit more distance with, which is okay! There is quite literally a global pandemic going on and you are allowed to have your boundaries.

3. Don't Go Overboard

Please remember that there is still a pandemic going on. You shouldn't really be going to huge gatherings or parties and you should limit the number of people you are exposed to, not just for your own well-being but for the well-being of everyone you are encountering.

4. Be Considerate

With everything going on around us, you should really be considerate of your friends and the situations they may be in. For example, when visiting a friend who has a high risk parent, I make sure to keep a big distance between us. Another example is that I am going upstate to visit another friend soon and I am getting tested and social distancing for 12 days before I go to really limit my exposure and take every precaution I can to ensure I don't get her sick.

5. Practice What You Preach

With all of that being said, you should really practice what you preach. It's not really fair to demand that the people you're seeing do all of these things to stay safe, but then not follow them yourself.

We all need to work together here.