101 Things I Need My Daughter To Know

101 Things I Need My Daughter To Know

There are many ways to raise girls, but here is what I think is most important.

39
101 Things I Need My Daughter To Know
Sharing the Good Things Photography

Every now and then, while scrolling through Facebook, I'll see articles about how girls plan on raising their daughters.

The posts usually read something like "Don't spend $5 on mascara" or "Coffee will be your best friend". I believe us girls grow up thinking "I'll raise my child like this" etc. and once a girl becomes a mother all of those thoughts go out the window. I became a mother young and 99.9% of the time I'm running around wondering what to do and hoping that the little human I am raising will turn out to be a good, worthy, kind hearted person. The beauty of motherhood is that I feel like that's what we all want for our kids and none of us really know what we're doing. When my daughter Kinsley was just a newborn I had trouble getting her to sleep. One night she was extra cranky and nothing that I was doing seemed to be the trick to getting her there.

I was tired, she was tired, and we were both getting to know one another.

To our luck, my dad walked in the room and asked if he could try and get her to sleep. Within a few minutes of him singing, bouncing her back and forth, and patting her on the butt she went fast to sleep. She's almost four now and if she's sleepy I can hold her and pat her bottom and she'll be sound asleep in no time. I feel like there is a never-ending learning curve that us parents have to get through one stage of our child's life at a time. I don't know one mom who has it all together all the time, but I do know tons of moms who are out there trying their best and doing what they think is right for their child. The coolest thing about being a mom (other than having the best kid(s) ever) is that we get to raise them the way that we want to and there is no right or wrong way to do it. So, I decided to come up with my own idea on how I want to raise my daughter.

Although there are more things that I'll have to teach Kinsley along the way here are 101 things I want her to know:

1. Always remember that I love you more than I love myself.... all the way around the world and back again

2. Jesus loves you more

3. Pray every chance you get

4. Be kind to others

5. Think before you speak

6. Your "makeup game" will never define you

7. You're prettier without it anyways and one day you'll realize it, too

8. Do what makes you happy

9. Being popular isn't what's most important

10. Be humble

11. No, you're not really in love with that boy that you met 2 weeks ago

12. Don't let him make you believe that he's in love with you either

13. Don't let boys define you

14. If you want to play sports, cool

15. If you want to play an instrument, cool

16. If you want to drag race, cool

17. I will support you in whatever you decide to do and will probably cry while watching you do whatever you love (don't make fun of me)

18. Sleep

19. If I tell you those shorts are too short don't get mad when I make you change

20. If a boy asks for a 'picture' he's not worth your time

21. Find your favorite show and watch it over and over again

22. Don't forget to call me when you've made it to your destination

23. You can tell me anything

24. I will back you up 110% as long as you tell me the truth

25. Lying never gets you anywhere

26. Do your best in school

27. But don't let that bad grade define you

28. Save your money

29. Don't pop your knuckles

30. Always dance

31. It's okay to have a messy room

32. Don't ever get revenge

33. Be the bigger person

34. Always smile. Your smile is contagious

35. Say sorry

36. Respect others

37. Don't post everything on social media

38. Your follower count doesn't define you

39. Be thankful for what you get

40. Thank God everyday for what He blesses you with

41. Pray for your future husband

42. Sex is meant for marriage

43. If I say you have to be home at 10, don't be a minute late. No excuses

44. Eat whatever you want

45. Don't forget to floss

46. Don't be a follower to Regina just because the boys like her

47. You don't have to look perfect every day of school

48. No one will care what you look like in college anyway

49. I know which of your friends are up to no good

50. You will go through many besties in High School

51. Winning isn't everything

52. DO NOT EVER text and drive

53. If you're second guessing if he's right for you.... He's not the one

54. Love your height

55. Underage drinking is lame

56. Tanning all year round isn't necessary

57. Spend time with your grandparents

58. Learn how to shoot a gun properly

59. There is no such a thing as snipe hunting

60. Love Jesus and yourself before you love that boy

61. Guard your heart. Nobody else will do it for you

62. Be aware of your surroundings

63. Eat breakfast

64. Study for that test

65. Watch your favorite cartoons even if you think you're too old for them

66. Don't be a bully

67. Don't judge a book by its cover

68. Read

69. If you fail simply try again

70. Fight for what you believe in

71. Sing with all you have

72. It's okay if you're not sure what to major in

73. Smoking/cussing of any kind has never been cool

74. Have forgiveness

75. Go to concerts

76. Don't let anyone bring you down

77. Take responsibility for your actions

78. Be independent

79. Try not to worry

80. Learn how to cook

81. Listen to what others have to say even if you don't see eye to eye with them

82. It's okay to agree to disagree

83. Never be someone's second choice

84. Be patient

85. Bullying of any kind is not cool

86. Trust your instincts

87. See the best in people

88. Stand up for yourself/ others

89. Be caring

90. Find something that you're passionate about

91. Travel

92. Treat others the way you would like to be treated

93. Always have an open mind

94. Go to the clearance section first

95. Laugh, laugh a lot

96. Don't spread gossip

97. Try new things

98. Take goofy photos

99. Never settle

100. Mac n cheese with ketchup will cure anything

101. ALWAYS be you! You are perfect in every way❤️

Editor's Note: Photos of Kinsley by herself are by: Kaila Stinson, Owner of Sharing the Good Things Photography