How To Plan A Killer Fundraiser

How To Plan A Killer Fundraiser

43
How To Plan A Killer Fundraiser

Planning an event can be tough and not to mention tiresome. All of the minuscule details that go into an event make the entire process stressful. Often philanthropy events can be one of the most difficult to organize because they include involvement with the group you are raising money for. Depending on the severity of the organization it can be a sensitive cause which makes for a gentle approach to fundraising. Consideration and sincerity is key when dealing with philanthropic acts. Therefore here are some tips to minimize the stress of planning a philanthropy event. Spring quarter is finally coming into full swing and it’s time to get philanthropic.

The Invite:

Present an invite in which a variety of people can participate in. It is also super important to consider the cause in which you are supporting and the group you will most be reaching out for. For instance, Sigma Kappa’s national philanthropy is Alzheimer’s research, which will most likely appeal to an older crowd and/or the families that have members suffering from Alzheimer, due to their close proximity to the disease. Therefore the event should be conducive to all ages young and old. In order to accommodate everyone, we plan an Alzheimer’s walk in which everyone is encouraged to participate and everyone is capable of completing the task since the walk can be taken at any pace.

Have Fun:

It’s important to have fun while being charitable. A early morning walk may not sound all that appealing to all the hungover frat boys, but an afternoon of competitive softball may do the trick. Every spring we host a philanthropic event called Frats at Bat, which is an inter-fraternity softball tournament where we get to be the coaches. It’s important to make philanthropy fun, otherwise people are less inclined to participate. Since the fraternity has to pay for a spot in the tournament, we are able to raise money and the boys get a chance to show off their athletic abilities.

Community Involvement:

Be sure to create an event that will involve the rest of the community. Food is always a good way to go, because who doesn't like food? Every year we host the All American Cookout and people can buy tickets pre-sale or at the door in order to join us for a BBQ. The exciting part about this event is we are able to invite all of our friends, whether they are in Greek life or not, to join us for a good time all while spreading the spirit of charity. I know in the past other sororities have hosted events in which they cater with Chipotle and other types of yummy foods that never fail to be a hit.

Stay Organized:

Keep money organized when planning an event with extensive expenses. I recommend using the app Tilt in order to keep group money organized. I just recently became an ambassador for my campus and I can’t stress enough how beneficial it can be in making events happen. Anyone that witnessed the madness surrounding the Chainsmoker’s visit to Cal Poly knows just how influential Tilt can be. Therefore when you are planning a philanthropy event whether it be ordering T-shirts for the event or having buy-ins for participation in an event it is crucial to keep money systematized.

When planning your spring quarter philanthropic event be sure to know your crowd, have fun with it, involve the entire community, and keep finances in check. I promise this is a recipe for success.