How To Make Running Enjoyable

How To Make Running Enjoyable

Running can suck, but it doesn't always have to be that way.

15
How To Make Running Enjoyable
Phil Roeder | flickr

Running. You either hate it or you love it. There seems to be hardly any middle ground on the subject! Some people run to relieve stress, some run to burn off extra calories, and some people run just because they like it. There are multiple reasons to run and anyone can do it. It’s just about finding your motivation to get out there and hit the pavement.

So first let's talk about why you should run. There are so many health benefits to it! Running is natural for human beings, so it’s a prime mode of exercise. Long distance running helps with cardiovascular health, improving lung capacity and blood pressure; plus, you can get a great runner’s physique out of it, am I right? But not everyone enjoys running. In fact, some people are adamantly against it. Having run cross country for seven years myself, I know exactly how detestable it can be—but I know how amazingly euphoric it can be, as well. It’s all about the right mindset. I’m talking positive thinking to the max here, people. With a sunny outlook on running, you can make it a joyful experience. With that in mind, here are two ways to make running a more pleasant mode of exercise.

First off, go with someone. Running with a partner is ten times better than running alone, especially if you are a beginner! Having someone to talk to helps the time speed by, and you hardly even notice that you are running after awhile. Talking while running is great because it strengthens your lungs, allowing you to take in more air and breathe easier during the workout. It also leads to some really great conversations. Ask any Cross Country runner, and they’ll testify to the “real talk mode” of running. There’s just something about being out in nature, struggling physically with a friend, that seems to draw out the best topics. Besides, like I said earlier, once you’re engaged in the talking, you forget you’re even running.

Number two, go somewhere exciting. Running around your neighborhood is great, but running the same loop gets boring after awhile, and it actually isn’t good for you. Running the same route every time can cause problems with hips, not to mention that it causes you to hit a plateau in your exercise results. So next time you go for a run, try exploring a little. There are usually little hiking trails that you can find rather easily, and those are fantastic for running! If you don’t have any of those around you, think of a place you really enjoy. It could be a park, or a beach, or even just through the woods. Make it an adventure and forge your own path! It breaks the monotony and brings a little excitement to the table. Just get out there where you can enjoy some great scenery. I promise you, it makes running more bearable.

With a positive attitude, a good friend or two, and a fun location, running is basically the most enjoyable exercise anyone can do.