How to Make New Years Resolutions You Will Actually Keep

Avoid the cycle of making multiple resolutions and never keeping them

20
pixabay.com

It’s that time of year when millions of well-meaning people write New Year’s resolutions they will put into practice on January first and completely forget by January tenth. Here’s how to avoid that cycle and make resolutions you’ll actually keep next year.

1. Make a list of things you actually want to do, rather than things you should do.

Look at the items on your list. Did you make yourself a list of chores or a list of goals? If the motivation behind an item on your list is negative (such as pressure from family or friends), you are less likely to do it. Sometimes the things you wantto do andshoulddo overlap, and that’s great. Just focus on the things you actually want to try or accomplish next year. Think Bucket list, not to-do list.

2. Make your list specific and measurable.

Resolutions are often broken because they are too vague. Items such as losing weight, getting organized, saving more money, or quitting smoking sound great, but they don’t have enough detail to take action. Take the items on your list and fill in the who’s, what’s, where’s, and why’s. Break them down into specific steps of action. (Example: How much weight do you want to lose? What type of exercise will you do? Where are you going to exercise? Why do you want to lose weight?) Throw out any items where the answer to the why question is because you feel pressured. Throw out any items that don’t have answers to all the questions because they aren’t measurable. If a goal on your list is not measurable, how will you know when you have accomplished it?

3. Set a specific time frame for each item.

It’s easy to abandon resolutions if there is no deadline. If you’ve decided to start an exercise program but never schedule time to go to the gym, you’ll probably end up in bed watching Netflix and eating snacks instead of working out. For one-step items on your list, (example: ride an elephant, or visit cousins) grab your calendar and set a date. For multi-step items on your list, (example: losing weight) use smaller units of time (example: go to the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 pm to 7:30 pm). Whatever deadlines you set for your resolutions, make sure they are realistic according to your circumstances and schedule.

4. Join a community of people pursuing the same thing.

A resolution to learn a new skill is a great opportunity to make connections in your community that you wouldn’t make otherwise. Look for a local club, studio, or organization that teaches the skill you want to learn. You will make new friends, stay motivated to reach your goal, and have more fun in the process. If you don’t have the needed local resources, or the skill you want to learn is in the computers and technology realm, joining an online community or social media platform is another great way to get connected and stay motivated.

5. Reward yourself.

If the reward of scratching an item off your list upon completion isn’t enough motivation, raise the stakes. Set a reasonable prize that you can afford to reward yourself with upon completion of a specific goal. Perhaps hitting your target weight warrants buying a new outfit in a smaller size, or saving more money means getting to invest some of it in a higher-priced item you really want. However you decide to do it, reward yourself! Celebrate! Then grab a pen and pencil and start making new resolutions for the next year!