8 Ways To Stay Sane During Midterms

8 Ways To Stay Sane During Midterms

Between homework, tests, and exams we all need a break to stay sane.

3
8 Ways To Stay Sane During Midterms
Unsplash

Depending on when your semester started, you are either starting midterms or are in the middle of them. As college students, midterms hit at that point in the semester where you are ready to be done with class and take a nap. Staying on top of assignments, studying, and getting enough sleep becomes harder to balance. So, here are my tips on how to stay sane during midterms.

Get a planner and USE IT.

Unsplash

I know you hear and see this tip everywhere, but that's because it works. If you use another form of planning that's fine. If you don't have a planning system get a planner, even if you only use it for exams.

Set aside time the week before an exam to study.

We've all sat down a couple of days before (okay, more like the night before or the day of) an exam and told ourselves we were going to study and then didn't study at all.

The other way this goes is that you stay up all night studying and then you have to fight sleep during the test. So setting time aside the week before gives you more time to study and some time to get sleep.

Do not study in bed.

Unsplash

I know that studying on your bed is so much more comfortable than sitting at your desk. Studying in your bed will make it harder to fall asleep at night.

There is also a higher chance that you will fall asleep while studying if you are studying on your bed. Just don't study on your bed.

Make time to hang out with friends.

Unsplash

Between studying for exams, working on assignments, and going to classes you are going to feel over worked and tired of classwork.

Make time to hang out with friends, give yourself time to not be doing something school or college-related. Step away from your desk and assignments and go out with your friends for a little time off.

Get to bed on time.

Unsplash

Pick a time that you want to be in bed by and stick to it. Make a routine or schedule if you have to. Getting to bed on time and getting at least 6 hours of sleep will make you feel well rested and give you some energy to get through your day without drinking too many coffees or energy drinks.

Don't drink too much caffeine. 

I know that you are probably exhausted or tires or feeling brain dead but don't keep drinking coffee or soda or energy drinks all day. Limit yourself to one or two a day.

Constantly downing caffeine all day will keep you up at night and you'll be tired in the morning. Starting the cycle over again.

Keep things organized.

Unsplash

Try and keep things clean so that you have room to work. If you can't keep things clean, keep them organized. Knowing where everything is will help when you are studying and need to find something.

Take breaks while studying or working on assignments. 

For every hour that you are working on something or studying, take a 15-20 minute break. For every three hours you are studying, take a 30-45 minute break. Taking a break will give you time to relax and unwind before diving back into homework.

If you use or used any of these tips I hope they helped! Good luck on your midterms and exams.