How To Escape Summertime Sadness This Year

Lana Del Rey didn't just make it up.

134

Summertime is always full of excitement, days off of school, and catching rays instead of studying. However, if you're one of the few people stuck in Tallahassee for the summer instead of going home, you might feel a little bummed out. Homesick, bored, lonely. There are hundreds of ways to escape the summertime blues and make the most of the stress-free days, these are just a few of them!

1. Beach days all the time

Nothing says summer like a day-trip to the closest beach with your gal pals. Pack some Mango-ritas, don't forget the Bluetooth speaker, and hit the road! Achieve that golden tan you've been working for all year in a matter of hours, and just enjoy nature's beauty by the sea. How could you possibly be sad at the beach?

2. Explore the city

Oftentimes, the most exciting adventures are the ones right outside your front door. It took me about a year to realize there were plenty of fun things to do just inside my own city. Stop worrying about a trip to New York or Vegas, and try to make the most out of the environment you were given at that very moment. Forget the GPS, take a drive around the outskirts of town.

3. Read a book series

Summer is about one of the only times in the year where I have time to sit down and read a book at my own speed. I don't have any distractions, and my mind can be transported to an entirely different world. Instead of staring at a television screen for eight hours, try switching it up and reading a new book. Remember, don't judge them on their covers.

4. Try new restaurants

The main goal of escaping summertime sadness is probably just managing to get out of the house. If you feel like you've been holed up in your room for months, maybe that's a sign you just need to get out. If you don't have any plans, simply create some, by inviting some friends to a new restaurant none of you have tried. Food is a great way to escape boredom!

5. Find a hobby

Maybe you already have one, or maybe you don't. Either way, find a new one. Maybe you discover your love for painting, or maybe you realized your talent for writing. Start trying a variety of hobbies you find fun and exciting, and the time will pass by quicker than ever. Hobbies really pass time in a much more refreshing way than just binge-watching Netflix.

6. Clean and tidy the house

We don't realize how important it is that our environment is comfortable and inviting. If the house appears disgusting and frazzled, your mind won't feel much different. Take a day to fully clean the house, maybe even re-arrange the furniture for extra oomph. You'll feel so much better when your laundry from last week is finally put away.

7. Listen to new music

A great way to escape the summertime blues is to branch out and discover new tunes. Pop open Spotify or Apple Music and listen to something you've never listened to before! Ask your friends for some deep cuts and see where the music takes you.

8. Call your family and friends

It's easy to forget to check up on the people you care about during these hectic times, but they really are just a phone call away. Sometimes when you are the one feeling lonely, just having a long chat with a loved one on the phone can ease your pain and brighten your day. Not to mention, parents love hearing from their kids, even if it's just a five-minute phone call.

9. Go visit furry friends

Nothing warms a heart more than a room full of puppies or kittens. Tallahassee has blessed with me with being within a ten-minute drive of a cat cafe, basically a room full of love. Get your cuddle sesh in and visit a shelter or something similar. Hey, maybe you'll even decide to adopt one while you're there.

10. Start journaling

A great way to pass the time is to open up a notebook and just start writing. It could be because I actually enjoy writing, but putting your thoughts onto paper is really stress-relieving. Ten years from now, you'll be able to revisit your writing and laugh about the things you thought were important enough to be written down back then.

11. Start a new TV series

I suggest starting a TV show with at least eight seasons, so that way, the show will last you almost the whole summer. Binge-watching the show might make you feel lazy and even more bored, so plan on watching one episode a night and keep the excitement built up for the next one.

12. Take it easy

The most important thing to remember is that it's summertime, which means you are allowed to be lazy and have a ton of extra free time. That's what makes summer so exciting in the first place. Keep yourself in a happy state of mind and avoid summertime sadness at all costs, and it'll be a great one.