8 Ways To Avoid The Summertime Sadness

8 Ways To Avoid The Summertime Sadness

The key to a happy summer is finding the balance between doing everything and doing nothing.

92
8 Ways To Avoid The Summertime Sadness
Liaison

Summertime, the time when you can have the best time of your life or be bored out of your mind. The key to a happy summer is finding the balance between doing everything and doing nothing. To avoid feeling like you have nothing going on here on, here are 8 things you can try to avoid the summertime sadness.

1. Make a realistic bucket list

We say it every summer. “This summer will be the best time of our lives!" And then two days later you’re back to sitting on your couch trying to find a new Netflix show to binge watch. Instead of planning all of these elaborate plans for every single day of summer, make a reasonable list of things that are actually possible to do with either your friends or family

2. Get a job

Though it may not be the most exciting thing, it is the most practical. Not only will you make some spending money to hang out with your friends over summer or save for the upcoming school year, but it also makes you feel more productive. Jobs are a lot of fun, occupy your time, and are a great way to meet new people.

3. Read a book

I know, I know; what do you mean read a book, summer is a time when we should be relaxing. But reading is a great escape and a healthier way to occupy your time than countless hours in front of the TV.

4. Do some belated spring cleaning

When could cleaning out your closet be a better time? You just came home for the summer and probably have a bunch of clothes or other things that you haven’t worn or used at all in the past school year. This is the perfect time to donate these items and start fresh.

5. Make your bed in the morning

Though I am guilty of not doing this every morning, it is so helpful to have a productive day. So many times when we have nothing better to do we just lay in bed all day, which is fun sometimes, but can become very boring. To avoid this habit get out of bed and immediately make it; not only does it prevent you from going back to bed, but your room will also look cleaner, which we all know your mom will appreciate.

6. Learn something new

What better time to learn something you have always wanted to. With so much free time on our hands, summer is the perfect time to learn something that you might not have had time to during the school year.

7. Try a new diet/ workout routine

Let’s be honest, we’re all busy during the school year with class, homework, and extracurriculars that our diets were probably not always the best. But now that we finally have time to breathe and relax we can start focusing on things that are beneficial to our bodies, such as eating healthier. Another way to improve our health is by working out. Though this may sound daunting there are so many fun ways to stay active, such as swimming, Zumba, and hiking. Find a workout buddy and have fun while being healthy.

8. Be spontaneous

Most of all though, just have a good time with your friends. The best times are usually the ones that you least expect. So if you and your friends decide to take a random road trip to Disneyland, go on the road trip because summer is the best time for spontaneity.

Summer is all about rest and relaxation. But when that rest and relaxation turns to boredom, summer can feel long and tedious. Make the best of your summer by trying new things and creating healthier habits. Not only will this make your summer more fun but it will also give you a perfect balance of productivity and relaxation.