How To Deal With Anxiety In College

How To Deal With Anxiety In College

Everyone has their own method.

18
How To Deal With Anxiety In College
Ariana Puzzo

Everyone experiences anxiety at different moments in his or her life, depending on the outside influences that are weighing in on that particular person. For some people, it is situational and is spurred on when they have to step out of their comfort zone. However, anxiety can also evade a person until they start a new chapter of their life, particularly in college, which forces them to be independent for the first time and face those pressure points all at once for the first time. Here are some ways to deal with anxiety in a college setting:

1. Go for a walk.

One of the initial aspects that attracted me to Fairfield was how aesthetically pleasing the campus was during all seasons. Since most of us do not have cars and cannot simply get behind the wheel to blow off steam, it helps to take 10 or 20 minutes out of the day and simply walk somewhere. When I find myself in need of some fresh air, going for a walk allows me to clear my mind and get some much-needed perspective on any situation.

2. Visit the chapel.

Even if you’re not religious, Egan Chapel is a relaxing place to unwind. For me, going to the chapel helps to let my mind drift and also allows me be in the presence of something bigger than myself. I rarely find myself interested in going to mass because I would rather pray on my own time. However, even if I am too frazzled to pray in an organized and coherent manner, it helps to know that God is listening even when I feel like I do not have all of the right words.

3. Listen to music.

Studies have shown that listening to music reduces stress and anxiety, and I can certainly attest to this helping me when I feel overwhelmed. There are times when being around a large group of people feels like it is going to set me off, but when I get like that it helps to take a step back and listen to something soothing that can bring me somewhere else. Some people listen to music loudly to distract themselves from their anxiety that is bubbling to the surface, but I prefer to listen to soothing music at a low volume.

4. Take some time for yourself.

Being around others or isolating oneself has different benefits for different people who have anxiety. As an introvert in a group of largely extroverted people, isolation is ideal for me because there are times when the energy becomes too much, and I need to take a step back and go somewhere else. When these moments occur, I find it best to do something stress and anxiety reducing, such as listening to music or watching a television comedy that I know will make me laugh.

5. Write it down.

Writing is more personal to myself, but I think it is useful for anyone who is dealing with anxiety. Sometimes when you cannot express what is triggering your anxiety to someone else, you are usually not sure what it is. Writing it down and working it out that way can be useful and also therapeutic because it helps you truly get to the root of it.

Dealing with anxiety is not a five-step method, and it is not one-size fits all. Different methods work for different people, but hopefully if the methods on my list do not work for someone else, they can help inspire different ways of managing anxiety.