You'll Never Know If You Are Choosing The Right College
College

You'll Never Know If You Are Choosing The Right College, Just Pick One Already

All colleges are practically one and the same if you ask me.

163
Adelaide Worline

My first year at Bowling Green State University is coming to an end, and I have been thinking about a lot of things lately. I think about how fast this year went by. I think about how different my five roommates are now than what I originally thought. I think about how sad I am that this year is ending but also how relieved I will soon be. However, most of all I think about how I will spend at least the next couple of years of my life at this university and how excited I am to do so. I love it here at BGSU, but I also know that I probably would have loved any college.

Looking back, the amount of stress I was under to choose the right college seems ridiculous. BGSU is amazing in my opinion, and while I feel as though it was the "right choice" for me I'm starting to think that maybe there is no such thing when it comes to college. My college experience has been what I have made of it. The college you choose is not the sole determinant of whether or not you will enjoy college life.

You are.

First of all, college is not for everyone. This is a firm belief of mine. Not everyone is meant to graduate from their four years of high school and instantly jump into another four years at a university. Not everyone is meant to go to a college that is far away. I, for example, came to BGSU which is three hours away from my hometown. I feel that this was a good choice for me. It made me broaden my horizons, explore a new place and environment, make a bunch of new friends, and get a taste of what it feels like to be on my own. Although, a lot of people from my hometown choose to commute to Ohio University, a lot of them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I just wanted to see what it was like to live somewhere else outside of my town, but not everyone feels the same as me.

And that is OK.

The college experience is different for everyone because everyone is different. Personally, I think this is what people should be considering the most as they are trying to choose a college. Think about what kind of college experience you want for yourself and go from there. Because let me tell you something that may be shocking...

ALL COLLEGES ARE THE SAME.

OK, OK, maybe not exactly the same, but they are very similar. Yes, there are different geographical locations and academic options. Yes, there are financial differences too (hint, hint this is something to focus on, I will say). However, if you want a college experience that is hosted at a large state university then pick one. If you want to attend a small private university then choose from the bunch. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into the colleges you are applying to because you definitely should do that. I'm just saying there is only so much you can anticipate. You will never be able to determine whether or not a college is the "perfect fit." Picking a college is not like that moment on 'Say Yes to the Dress' where the bride just knows the dress is "the one" as she looks into the floor length mirror with that twinkle in her eye.

It's more like you get a letter in the mail saying a college is going to give you $10,000 a year and you're like, HEY, LOOK! IT'S THE ONE!

So, what I'm saying is look at a bunch of different colleges. Compare and contrast all the pros and cons with them (financial aid/scholarships are a BIG thing to consider if you ask me). But, overall, just choose one and go with it. Choose one that you think that will give you a good college experience and, let me tell you, almost all of them will.

When people asked about the college they went to, they usually rave about it. Sure, they make talk about things like the amenities in the residence halls or how the dining hall food isn't terrible. But, most times, they start telling stories of their "good ole' college days."

These stories weren't made by the college they chose though. They were made by themselves, the people they met at college, and the college experience they made for themselves.

So, just pick one.