How To Choose Your College Classes

How To Choose Your College Classes

Heres How To Make Sure The Courses You Take Are Right For You!

26
How To Choose Your College Classes

When people think of college, many forget about the reason we all attend: to recieve an education. We study for hours a day in order to reach the high expectations our courses demand. Academics can be the driving force of student’s excessive stress level in college, however, it doesn’t have to be. Picking the right courses for you can make all the difference in whether or not you excel at the college level. By choosing classes that generally interest you, it’s possible to make that intense course load feel manageable. The courses you take over the four years of your college life can help shape the type of person you become, so choose wisely. Deciding what classes to take can be a challenge, so here are four tips to making sure your schedule is perfect for you!

Not Every Class is 500 People.

Even at a large research university, not every class is taught in a lecture-style environment. Although many of the introductory level courses include hundreds of students in each section, there are also plenty of smaller classes with interesting topics to choose from! If you are a student who thrives in a smaller setting and requires individual attention by your professor, take specific classes! It is always a good idea to create a balance of big and small classes in your schedule, so make sure to include both when searching for courses.

Don’t Forget About Your Major.

Some students know exactly what they want to be in life, and some don’t. If you fall into the category of undecided students, this is normal I promise! However, if you do have an idea of what you’re going to major in, it can’t hurt to take pre-requisite courses from the start. Some majors have many required courses that you must take before declaring at the end of sophomore year. Spacing these classes out over many semesters can help avoid feeling overwhelmed. It’s also a good idea to test the waters of your potential major early on to see if you enjoy the content!

If You Are Not Interested, What’s The Point?

Pick classes based on whether or not the topics covered sound interesting to you! Although the professor, location, and time of the class may seem signifigant, these factors are not as important as what you will physically be learning in every session. Search through the entire course guide for classes that stand out in your mind as different and intriguing. Those two hour lectures every week will feel like they go on forever if you are not interested in what is being taught to you.

Be Original.

No one likes a copy cat! When choosing the classes you want to sit through every week, don’t just base your schedule around what your friends are doing. Look for topics you know nothing about because, simply put, why not?! If you know nothing about African studies and find the topic to be thought-provoking, take a course on the history of African culture and literature. You’ll never know what fields of study fascinate you if you don’t try everything! Maybe you’ll even find a career path based on a course you didn’t intend on taking. Most importantly, trust your instincts when deciding what subjects to take because no one knows you better than yourself!