How To Be Your Best Introverted Self

How To Be Your Best Introverted Self

In a world of emails, small talk and loud people, find your best way to be you.

17
How To Be Your Best Introverted Self
unsplash.com

Introverts are some of the most misunderstood people out there. We’re a little mysterious, a little under the radar and a little hard to understand unless you are one! As an introvert myself, I know firsthand that it’s easy to become every stereotype out there: a hermit, flinching at the thought of going outside, turning my phone off to avoid texts or exhausted at the thought of polite banter.

Sometimes when you’re an introvert it’s easy to become isolated, but that’s not how it should be. That’s the introvert running on empty. An introvert that is energized and filled up can be friendly, loving, and some of the best people to talk to. We are some of the best listeners out there!

So how do we keep from becoming the introvert that hides beneath the covers and avoids social interaction? Here are a few things that I’ve found to help.

1. Know When to Say No

It’s easy to feel pressured into saying yes to everything. I mean, what are you supposed to say? “I’ve had too much social interaction for the day and if I talk with another person I might implode.” Probably not. But you know, it’s okay to not have a reason. Sometimes all it takes is a simple, unapologetic, and unwavering, “I’d love to, but I can’t tonight.” A real friend will be understanding.

2. Spend one-on-one time with people

You might not be your best in a crowd of people you’ve never met. In fact you may regret ever walking through the door, but chances are you’re your best while hanging out with one person or a small group. So don’t get beat up by what overwhelms you; in a large group-setting find a friend or a few friends that you can laugh and have fun with. Or instead of soaking in awkwardness, look around and find someone else who looks uncomfortable and go make them feel included.

3. Learn to navigate weaknesses

Introverts are some of the most underestimated people – but it’s often ourselves that do the underestimating! How often do you walk away from a group because you don’t think you’ll be very engaging? How often do you avoid a call simply because you hate talking on the phone? How often do you miss opportunities because you’re convinced you’ll be awkward or just plain uncomfortable? To be your best introvert you have to stop using the term as a crutch. To get better at small-talk, public speaking, returning calls or responding to emails, you have to just do it. Over and over again until eventually, it’s not so bad.

4. Embrace it!

This doesn’t negate the last point, so you’re not getting out the easy way. But just as important as it is to challenge yourself, it’s important to accept your need for space! Know that being an introvert is pretty awesome. I LOVE that I can be alone for a whole day and not feel lost without company. I love that I have an independent nature. I love thinking about life and that I sometimes can't put a book down. I love that a lazy day in pajamas energizes me. I love that I don’t need to go to a party and be wild and crazy to have fun.

You are unique and wonderful and possibly quite weird, but that’s amazing. Embrace it. I hope you’ll be your best-introverted self.