You Need To Stop Texting Your Mom Everyday

It's time we do the adult thing and become independent!

11

It's no secret that we all love our mothers and the comfort they provide us infinitely, but it is time to cut the ties. Not completely, but the ties that are holding us back from fulling maturing and reaching our full potential in the real world. Whether we like it or not, we are getting older and life is speeding right by us. This means we need to start learning how to do everything ourselves. Scary, right?

Our generation struggles intensely with mental illness. It seems as though we all feel lonely, we all feel sad, and we all have growing anxiety. Life is hard. Adjusting is hard. It sucks right now. We are going through some of the most major changes and milestones in our lives and most of us are far away from our comfort zones: home. We are so used to our moms being there every second of the day for us, dropping everything and anything for us and it is showing.

Our generation is being babied. Whether you want to believe it or not, it is true. People are still having their parents make doctors appointments for them. People are still having their parents solve academic problems for them. People are still having their parents do their homework. People are still having their parents get their jobs for them. Some people are still having their parents give them money instead of getting a job. Parents are still answering to every single beckoning call from us, and while it is OK to be there for us, it is not good to baby us like that, and it is most definitely not good for us to feed into it.

We rely on our parents too much and need to start to be independent. It will be hard, but we can do it. We get anxious and depressed when we have to do things on our own because we are not used to it. There are so many resources on campus that we can utilize to help us get through these difficult times and to learn how to do things on our own. We will never succeed in life by solely relying on our parents all the time.

We can do it! We can figure things out ourselves. It is ok to text your parents once in a while, but go to your friends, advisors, or counselors when you need help! Start building your foundation and prepare yourself to be the strong, independent and successful person you can be. We love our parents and they love us, but show them what you can do without their constant assistance.