How To Know When You're Taking On Too Much

You need a break.
120

I should probably know this by now. I’m the queen of stress. I’m a busy bee. I even stress about stress. Just think of what this is doing to my skin! Maybe it stems from me saying "yes" a lot. I tell my boss “yes, I can do this, and I can have it done before you want it and better than you expect.” Count on me. I’m your girl. This is just my personality, I can’t help myself sometimes. I like to please others, which is both a fault and a virtue. When you are Type-A and life is a cycle of getting the job done and taking on more projects, here are some things to watch out for to know when it has become too much.

Relationship Drama

Those who suffer at the expense of me taking on so much are the ones closest to me. By them, I mean my boyfriend, my mom, my sisters. I might be excelling at work and doing well in my classes but there’s always a give and take. Someone gets the short end of the stick and when you realize someone else is taking the brunt of your frustration, you need to seek balance.

Stomach Aches

I get these very often, but if you don’t, there are other health side effects such as weight fluctuations, headaches, restlessness, or even chest pain. It’s amazing how the body and mind are so closely connected. What starts in the mind will spread to your body.

Caffeine Tolerance

Three cups shouldn’t be a baseline, even though it is for me. Sometimes I can't help myself when my boss always brews another pot and the aroma of french-roast is in the air!

Lethargy

When you feel emotionally and physically drained every day. Sleep doesn’t seem to help. If you usually exercise, but you can’t seem to recover due to constant muscle soreness, the problem lies in your head.

Lack of Desire

Nothing satisfies you anymore. Even being around your significant other won’t excite you. Not disconnecting from work or school causes you to not even enjoy the little things.

When you realize that you have these side effects of stress, it may be time to take a break. Work will be waiting for you when you return.