How I'm Dealing With College Burnout

How I'm Dealing With College Burnout

College struggle is REAL.

20
How I'm Dealing With College Burnout
Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash

I've been writing a lot about college and the work that comes along with it, between study tips and the music I like to listen to while working and writing.

As an English major, I wrote a total of 35 pages in two weeks and I was struggling to complete it all. I realized that I was simply exhausted from this semester. So, I pushed through, reminding myself of the break to come, and submitted everything. However, when I was done, I did not feel any sort of catharsis; I was still tired.

So, I tried to implement my self-care tips the best I could but I still felt off and lethargic. Here's what I did instead during the few off days I had:

1. Turned Off My Brain.

I mean, truly, turn it OFF. All of my hobbies require some brain power: I write for fun, and even the TV shows and anime I watch are plot-heavy so paying attention is required. So, I put on some reality TV on Netflix and just...watched. It worked like a charm.

2. Eat. Eat a lot.

Okay, so maybe some of the self-care tips worked.

Thanks to my lovely family, I just ate food without caring, which is something I normally don't do. It just felt nice for a while.

3. Fixing My Sleep Schedule.

Photo by Matthew Henry on Unsplash

Becoming an extreme night owl is something that happens to me, slowly, every semester until by finals week, I am waking up at 3 PM and going to sleep at 6 AM. While I enjoy the night more than the day, it is simply not good to live like that for an extended period of time.

Gradually, I have been making myself not into a morning person (because that will never happen), but simply, a day person.

4. Just Don't Do It.

Overall, I did nothing.

Not for a long time, maybe just a few days. This is an article advocating for time to be spent doing nothing.

Sometimes, nothing is good.