How Fraternities At Oregon State Are Making A Difference This Year

239

With 19 fraternities in the Interfraternity Council at Oregon State University ranging from 25-150 members in each chapter, it is easy to recognize all of the good deeds constantly being done around campus from these chapters. However, there are a lot of good deeds that go unnoticed. Here are some of the things that fraternities are doing to help out the local and national community this year. 

Acacia

So far this year, the biggest thing that Acacia has done with the community was participating in the MLK Jr. Day of Service. A ton of men in the chapter got to participate and volunteer on a service project with the Corvallis Parks and Recreation Department. They plan to do more service with them this term and next term. Also, this chapter is planning a service philanthropy called 7 Days of Service, which is one of Acacia's national philanthropies. For 7 days they are going to participate in service projects (one for every day of the week) around the Corvallis community. This philanthropy isn't fully planned yet, but they are hoping to include more Greeks on campus and encourage them to participate. You can help Acacia better the Corvallis community as well when their philanthropy comes around!

Alpha Gamma Rho

This chapter organizes an annual philanthropy through the college where many Greek and non-Greek students can participate in several rodeo related events. "Alpha Gamma Rhodeo" supports the Oregon FFA Foundation, which supports youth in agriculture and expands their knowledge for a better future in agriculture. This chapter raises a large donation annually for this program to show their support of agriculture. This philanthropy is a ton of fun and is supporting a great cause.

Alpha Sigma Phi

Every Spring term, Alpha Sigma Phi hosts an awareness philanthropy called Open Hearts for Heartland where they encourage the Greek community to spend time at the Heartland Humane Society in Corvallis. Last year, in just a week's time, the participating sororities had logged in around 150 hours of time spent with the animals. The men of this chapter then donate $1,000 to go towards the winning sorority's philanthropic partner. During this philanthropy, they were also able to raise some money for Heartland. Be a part of a great cause this spring when you hear about Alpha Sig's philanthropy!

Alpha Tau Omega

Cuts for the Cure is the philanthropy that this chapter is currently focusing on. These men auction off individuals from their chapter to the highest bidder. The winning bid gets to cut the individual's hair however they like and they have to keep the haircut for a week. All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society to fund research for a cure. Alpha Tau Omega is also planning on becoming more involved with the community rather than just with groups on campus. They plan on volunteering with Jefferson Elementary School here in Corvallis at their carnival at the end of this month.

Chi Phi

Last spring term, Chi Phi held a volleyball tournament for their philanthropy, the Boys and Girls Club. On top of that, every term this chapter does volunteer work for many Corvallis parks, including the one closest to their house, Chintimini Park.

Delta Chi

Delta Chi has been working with the community and doing various events in order to give back. Last year, their philanthropy event, I Spy Delta Chi, raised $3,500 for the Jimmy V Foundation, which benefits cancer research. This year, they are going to try and beat that number in order to help others beat cancer. Each term these men contribute over 100 hours of community service, a number that they continue to increase every term. Events that they participate in range from working with Heartland Humane Society, to cleaning parks with the City of Corvallis, and even volunteering and donating blood with the American Red Cross. The men of Delta Chi also tutor children at the Boys and Girls Club of Corvallis.

Delta Upsilon

This week, Delta Upsilon is having their philanthropy called the Global Service Initiative (GSI). This philanthropy raises money to send their members to poverty ridden areas of Jamaica to help refurbish and build school buildings! Their goal for this year is to raise $10,000. With this money, they would be able to send three members and provide thousands of dollars in building supplies, clothing and gifts for the kids and their families. Help GSI by participating in their philanthropy this week!

Kappa Delta Rho

This year, Kappa Delta Rho has done a lot to impact the local community. A few of these things include coaching a 7th grade basketball team, chaperoning some local middle school dances, and they also got major companies to donate to all different houses philanthropies! These men are doing a great job to benefit and help the city of Corvallis!

Lambda Chi Alpha

Lambda Chi Alpha makes it a priority to help those in need, as one of their core values is Service and Stewardship. Over the past couple of years, this chapter's annual Watermelon Bash Philanthropy has raised over $35,000 and 2,000 pounds of food for Community Outreach, a great shelter that helps a lot of people in the Mid-Willamette Valley. This year, they are looking for even more opportunities to serve the public and local community.

Phi Delta Theta

All year round Phi Delta Theta supports "Be The Match" by holding registration drives so that the local community can come register to help save the life of a person in need of a bone marrow transplant. Three members of this chapter have already been matched and have either already donated bone marrow or plan to donate soon. This chapter also holds "Puppy Drives" every term during dead week as a break from studying, and all of the proceeds are donated to Be The Match. Stay tuned for a Puppy Drive this coming March and register at the next registration! You could help save a life.

Phi Gamma Delta - FIJI

This year, FIJI raised $5,000 for a cancer program through their "Fiji Diamond Cup" philanthropy. These men also raised a couple thousand dollars for the Jackson Street Youth Center in Corvallis with their annual haunted house. They also do various volunteer events on the weekends as a house. They work for Habitat for Humanity frequently and help them build homes. FIJI is doing a lot of great work that can be seen throughout the local community.

Phi Kappa Psi

This chapter is currently about to put on their annual philanthropy, "Fraternal Feud," which includes a lot of participation from other chapters in a trivia night. This philanthropy benefits the OSU Food Bank. On top of that, the winning team gets a portion of the main raised donated towards their own philanthropy of choice. The men of Phi Psi have also been volunteering a lot at the Boys and Girls Club by holding a basketball tournament for them. They've been cleaning up parks around town, as well. Phi Kappa Psi's philanthropy is this term week 9! Get a good study break and help out a great cause!

Pi Kappa Phi

This chapter has a strong relationship with the Arc of Benton County, which is a non-profit organization that helps out people with disabilities. Over the course of the last year, they have acted in plays alongside people with disabilities for the public, helped The Arc move offices, and built the entire stage setup for The Arc Drama Squad. They enabled people with their skills to accomplish their dreams with the real deal: stage lights, sound boards, and complete sets. Aside from that, they are involved with their national philanthropy, The Ability Experience. They built a wheelchair ramp in 24 hours for a local family, and made modifications for the Kiwanis Camp at Mount Hood which is a camp for children with disabilities. These men received an award from their nationals, recognizing them for having the most outstanding volunteer relationship. Their incredibly hard work is being noticed locally and nationally! It's great to see such hard work coming from a chapter right here at Oregon State.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

SAE's philanthropy is coming up in just a few weeks, and all of the proceeds go towards the Zakes Foundation, a non profit organization that funds newborn screening programs for rare childhood diseases. This chapter's 2014 Relay for Life was a gold sponsor, raising over $8,000! As far as community service, every term these men participate in "Adopt A Highway," and every fall they volunteer at the Special Olympics in Corvallis. Some weeks they even do a neighborhood clean up for trash after football game days. Keep up to date with their philanthropy to help them support the Zakes Foundation!

Sigma Chi

This chapter hosted its annual philanthropy, Derby Days, this past fall and set a chapter record by raising over $20,000 for the Doernbecher Children's Hospital. These men also have a minimum requirement for all active members to participate in other Greek philanthropic events and amount of hours spent volunteering for the community. Sigma Chi has won many province awards and exceeded the average amount of volunteer hours this year.

Sigma Phi Epsilon

Last term Sigma Phi Epsilon was very busy. They helped out a lot with the Boys and Girls Club, worked very closely with Habitat for Humanity, coached teams for the Corvallis Parks and Recreation youth, and participated in the blood drive. They just wrapped up their annual philanthropy, Sweethearts, which raises money for Community Outreach benefiting the homeless. This year, they were able to raise $15,600 through this philanthropy! It was a very fun week of events and they did an excellent job of organizing their philanthropy!

Sigma Pi

This chapter is working on a philanthropy for the Amazing Day Foundation, which raises awareness for suicide prevention. Along with that, they are also planning on signing people up to be organ donors. Sigma Pi is also planning on pairing up with a sorority on campus, Kappa Alpha Theta, on Valentine's Day to decorate cookies and bring them to the tenants of the Corvallis Caring Place, an assisted living facility in the community.

Tau Kappa Epsilon

Recently, TKE had a majority of their chapter spend their day participating in a clean up of all of the alleys in downtown Corvallis. This clean up took place from around 6th Street all the way down to the Waterfront. The men of Tau Kappa Epsilon strive to participate in events that help to better their local community all year round.

Theta Chi

This chapter has an annual philanthropy, G.I. Theta Chi, that raises money for Wounded Warrior Project. Last year, they were able to have participating sororities write over 100 letters to soldiers overseas. This year, they plan to hold their philanthropy spring term and hope to get more people involved in order to raise more money and send even more letters. It is simple and fun to participate in this philanthropy. Help out when you hear about it!