How It Feels To Visit Friends At Other Universities

I love seeing my friends happy with the decision they made.

136
Ellen Tucker

I'm a freshman in college and it has been a few months since I have seen some of my best friends from high school. One of the negative parts about going off to college is leaving your favorite people. Many of my friends chose to go to larger universities. This past weekend I visited them for the first time since the summer.

It is interesting to see how they've changed so much, yet so little. One of the things I immediately noticed was her different word choice. When you go off to college, you get thrown into a world of new lingo that is unique to every college. She would use words with me that I wouldn't quite understand. She'd forget I didn't know what that was and have to explain it.

It is amazing to see her school spirit. Half of her closet has become purple. She knows every chant and can sing the entire fight song. She walks around campus and tells me stories with such confidence. She is thriving in her environment and I couldn't be happier for her.

It still feels strange to think about the different experiences that all my friends are having, even if they go to the same university. Some of my friends are partying, others are doing amazing in school, and some are part of a sports team or marching band.

I love seeing my friends happy with the decision they made. Applying to colleges is so stressful and not everyone gets their first choice. Things always seem to work out, though. While I didn't get into my first college choice, I am happy with where I am and with the people I've met. I couldn't imagine being at another school with my other friends.

College is a time to branch out, so don't be afraid to go to schools that your friends aren't planning to attend. I love visiting my friends at the college that makes them happy. But I love being at the college that makes me happy, too.