How to Feel Like A Kid Again at the Jersey Shore

Sometimes don't you just wish you could be a kid again?

11

The air is getting cooler, the sun is setting earlier, and back to school commercials are in abundance. It's obvious that summer is winding down, especially for college students who will be returning back to school within the next few weeks. With only about 2-3 weeks left of summer, it's important to make the most out of the warm days and homework free nights.

Although I'm quite eager to return to school, there is something inside of me that isn't ready to let go of this summer just yet. If you’re like me, you may be regretting not having a more fun and adventurous summer.

Why is it that as kids, summer seems 100 times more fun than it is now? Maybe it’s the fun things we did back then that are now considered way too embarrassing. As kids, we weren’t so self-conscious. Instead, we focused on having a good time. I think us kids were really onto something.

If you’re lucky enough to spend your summers at the Jersey Shore, whether you grew up here, spend just your summers here, or only spend a week or two here, I’m sure many fun summer childhood memories are coming to mind. The Jersey Shore is a huge place, but I have been fortunate enough to spend my summers in Lavallette, located between Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights. As a vow to myself to have the best last 2 weeks of summer possible, I came up with this list of things I used to love to do as a kid down here. I’ve already started doing the things on the following list, and I can tell you one thing is for sure, I’m already having a lot more fun.

Here is a list of 11 fun things to do during your last few weeks of summer at the Jersey Shore. Yes, these will make you feel 10 again, but you’re going to love it.

1. Rides at the Boardwalk - The Seaside Boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ. Although due to the unfortunate events of Super Storm Sandy, the boardwalk will never be quite the same as it was when we were children, but it’s still fun! Moby Dick is a personal favorite of mine but the iconic purple roller coaster and the haunted house will be dearly missed.
  2. The Music Man - The Music Man ice cream shop in Lavallette, NJ. This singing ice cream shop is so much fun if you gather a few friends and family. First, when they bring out your ice cream, they embarrass you by calling you out on something about your order. Then, the employees put on a Broadway-esque performance. What's not to love?
  3. Miniature Golfing - The age-old game of miniature golf is sure to bring you back to your yester-years. Unfortunately, my favorite childhood miniature golf course is now gone, but some of my other favorite miniature golf courses in the area are: the Chadwick Beach miniature golf, Barnacle Bills, and the Point Pleasant boardwalk miniature golf course. Take your time, play seriously, and keep score!
  4. Kohr's or Dairy Queen - Kohr's custard ice cream is a Jersey Shore favorite and there's never a bad time for a blizzard. Plus, nothing says childhood more than licking a cone of ice cream on a warm summer night.
  5. The Water Park - Breakwater Beach Water Park in Seaside Heights. Go enjoy a day of water rides and wreaking havoc in the lazy river.
  6. Actually Play at the Beach - This is an important one, and certainly one where you need to throw caution (and embarrassment) to the wind. As we’ve gotten older, the ocean has become a place where we just casually “take a dip”, and the sand is nothing more than a place to lay your towel on to tan all day, but being silly and playing around in the water and sand is so much more fun. Some fun ideas are: take a tube out in the waves, shamelessly ride a Body Board/Boogie Board in the waves, build a sandcastle, and play driftwood – where you (again, shamelessly) lay along the side of the water and simply let the waves do the rest.
  7. Enjoy a Treat from Colonial Bakery or Donuts Plus - Calories didn’t exist as a kid, and they don’t exist while you’re treating yourself to a homemade baked good from either Colonial Bakery or Donuts Plus. I’m actually checking this one off of my “Summer To-Do List” as I type right now, getting crumbs from my Donuts Plus apple turnover all over my keyboard.
  8. Go Crabbing or Fishing at the Bay - I was never a fan of crabbing by the bay, but there is something to say about the pure feeling of excitement when there are a few crabs in the cage when you pull it up (even though you have to throw them back in almost 100% of the time).
  9. Wander Around Ben Franklin - Ben Franklin in Lavallette continues to be one of my favorite stores on the strip. Wandering around the kid section also reminds you of everything that was great about childhood.
  10. Buy Ice Cream on the Beach - This is another one where calories don’t count. (Because, trust me, you don’t want to know). Eating a Chipwich wrapped in your towel fresh out of the water is one of the finer things in life.
  11. Fly A Kite - If flying a kite on the beach during the early evening doesn’t make you feel like a kid again, nothing will.