20 Things To Do Around Gordon College

20 Things To Do Around Gordon College

Enjoy the area around you and get off campus

615
20 Things To Do Around Gordon College
Amber McCarty

I’ve been going to Gordon for almost a year and a half now and am still discovering new things to do. Campus can get fairly boring after a little while, but you’re in luck! There’s so many things to do around campus that will keep your free time fun and adventurous. So find a friend who has a car or rent a ZipCar, and get a group together to go adventure the beautiful, abundant North Shore. Here’s 20 things around Gordon College that are sure to give you a good time:

1. Walking and bonfire on the beach

Whether you go during the day or night, you are sure to have a good time at one of the many beaches around the area. Go for a walk, play some Frisbee, do a photoshoot, have a bonfire. Just because it’s cold does not mean you can’t go and enjoy the gorgeous beaches around us. Here’s a few you can visit:

Good Harbor Beach (Gloucester)

Crane Beach (Ipswich)

Singing Beach (Manchester-by-the-Sea)

Lynch Park (Beverly)

Wingaersheek Beach (Gloucester)

2. Visit cafes & coffee shops

There are an abundance of cute cafes and coffee shops around Gordon campus. To get your coffee fill or to find a nice study spot, go adventure and find some new places. Here are some coffee shops that are a must-go:

Atomic Cafe (Beverly)

Gusto Cafe (Beverly)

Gulu Gulu Cafe (Salem)

Cape Ann Coffees (Gloucester)

Bean & Leaf Cafe (Rockport)

3. The Castle

No this is not an actual castle. This is a game board cafe, kicking off the new trend in entertainment. Located in Beverly, it’s a quick ride you can take with your friends. Go enjoy some snacks, put away your electronics, and enjoy genuine bonding over some fun board games.

4. Orchards, orchards, & more orchards

It’s fall so of course you have to go apple picking. The North Shore is on top of providing an abundance of orchards to go to pick apples, pick pumpkins, go on hay rides, and find your way through a corn maze. Go with your floor or go with some friends and enjoy a must-do activity of the fall season. Here’s some you can visit:

Barkers Farm Stand (North Andover)

Cider Hill Farm (Amesbury)

Connors Farm (Danvers)

Russell Orchards (Ipswich)

Smolak Farms (North Andover)

5. Go shopping

There’s two huge malls only a few exits away from Gordon that provide lots of stores you can shop at. Whether you want to get some new clothes, buy a new video game, or pick up some craft supplies, the North Shore Mall and Liberty Tree Mall provide all the places you need. Spend the day and grab some meals at one of the many restaurants within the malls. Also go pet some puppies at the pet store!

6. SkyZone

Only ten minutes away, you can get a group of friends together and go hop the night away. Located in the Liberty Tree Mall, you can go bounce from between a half an hour to two hours and get your exercise while at it.

7. Laser Quest

I played Laser Tag for the first time last week and let me just say, I’ve been missing something all my life. This is a great quick activity to go do with your friends when you’re bored and is an absolute blast. Have fun shooting your friends, dodging shots, and racking up points as you run around a maze trying to catch people. Laser Quest is located only 12 minutes away in Danvers so you have no excuse now for being bored on a Friday night.

8. Roller Palace

Another fun place to get your energy out, Roller Palace is a fun place to go to roller skate and spend time with friends. With a funky vibe and some fun music, you’re sure to feel like you’ve gone back in time. Located only 5 minutes away, once again you have no excuse for being bored.

9. Salem

Only 20 minutes away, grab some friends and go spend a day visiting Salem. Go visit the shops on Essex St, get a tour of the town, spend some time on Salem Commons, go to one of the many witch museums, get scared in a haunted house, or go enjoy the views at Winter Island Park. There’s so many things to do and even if you just sight see, you’re sure to have a good time.

10. Boston

Boston is less than an hour away and is the hub of the North Shore. Take the train into Boston and spend the day adventuring around the beautiful city. Visit a museum, enjoy foods and shops at Quincy Market, take a boat ride, and just explore. One mandatory stop: Mike’s Pastries on Hanover Street to satisfy that sweet tooth. Go around Christmas time and Boston turns into a magical winter wonderland.

11. Ice skating

You don’t have to be good at ice skating to have fun with it. Grabbing some friends and stumbling on the ice together is a great bonding experience that is sure to create some great memories. There’s an abundance of indoor and outdoor skating arenas in the area. Pick one you like and enjoy an hour or more on the ice!

12. Sunset at Ocean Lawn

I went and witnessed the sunset at Ocean Lawn with one of my good friends last year and it was honestly one of the best things ever. Ocean Lawn is part of the Coolidge Reservation in Manchester-by-the-Sea and has a great, rocky waterfront to enjoy the sunset at. It’s only open from Friday-Monday, 8am to sunset so make sure to not to stay too late after the sun dips beneath the horizon. This is definitely a site you want to experience before you leave Gordon.

13. Clay Dreaming

Located under 20 minutes away on Cabot Street in Beverly, Clay Dreaming is a cute little pottery place you can go to to paint anything your heart desires. There are so many different pottery pieces, colors, and utensils to choose from. Get creative and a bit messy and have a fun girls night out.

14. Go get ice cream

Even though it’s getting cold, it can never be too cold for ice cream. There’s so many cute ice cream and frozen yogurt shots in the area that you can go to please that sweet tooth. Here’s a few:

Captain Dusty’s (Beverly)

Dairy Queen (Beverly)

Cherry Farm Creamery (Danvers)

Richardson’s Ice Cream (Danvers)

Canaan Farms (Wenham)

15. Antique shopping

Essex is America’s antique capital with over 25 antique shops. Make it a day trip exploring with friends and make a contest of who can find the coolest thing for the lowest price. This simple activity can be so much fun.

16. Visit a Museum

There are so many museums on the North Shore. Whether it be the Museum of Fine Arts or Science Museum in Boston or the Peabody Essex Museum or Witch Museums in Salem, there’s many options to choose from. Get out there and have fun while learning.

17. Castle Hill on the Crane Estate

Located in Ipswich, Castle Hill is a beautiful mansion located right near the ocean. You can go hike the trails, go to the beach, or take a tour of the luxurious house on the hill. I’ve been told this is a must do activity.

18. Go grab dinner

There are restaurants galore in the North Shore whether it be the big, well known restaurants or the smaller, unknown ones. Go take some time to explore the different places you can eat at. Find a cute diner, casual eatery, or fancy restaurant. Try something new or stick with something closer to home.

19. North Shore Music Theatre

The North Shore Music Theatre is located in Beverly only 8 minutes from the school. If you enjoy music, go spend a night watching a musical or attending a concert. There’s so many options to choose from and so many shows year round. You’re sure to find something you’ll enjoy.

20. Go to the animal shelter

There are a few animal shelters in the area where you can go and spend some time playing with dogs and cats. Even volunteering is a good way to get involved and to get your weekly fix of cuteness. Go distress by petting some animals. I promise you will feel better afterwards.

So go out and have some fun! College is about academics but it’s also about socializing and living life. Enjoy time with friends, do new things, explore! Enjoy the area around Gordon because you’re only here for a certain amount of time before you’re off into adult living. Enjoy being fun and adventurous while it lasts!