Hobbies To Pick Up While Social Distancing

Various hobbies and pastimes to pick up while social distancing yourself at home.

44

With the need for social distancing to curb the spread of COVID-19, everyone needs hobbies to pick up while going through these tough and trying times. Staying sane and calm during the passing of this epidemic is important, so here are a few hobbies to pick up.

Music(obviously)

stockphoto

If you have a guitar or another instrument laying around, I highly suggest you pick that bad boy up and learn how to play it. Music is a hobby that is a way to not only exercise your brain, but also a way to channel your emotions into something positive. A lot of people I know have told me that the reason they don't play guitar anymore is because lack of time and because they have better things to do, such as go to class. Well now those people have loads of time on their hands, and can now learn to play music.

Drawing or Painting

stockphoto

Another fun pastime to pick up is drawing. I know that not everyone is artistically inclined, so this may not be for everyone. Or if you're determined, you can watch YouTube videos on how to draw your favorite cartoon characters. Drawing, like music or any other artistic endeavor, exercises your brain and works your creativity. Drawing lets you put ideas onto a piece of canvas or paper, and transforms them into beautiful creations.

Writing

stockphoto

While spending the rest of the semester at home with your laptop, one way to use this time wisely is to start writing. Whether it be for a blog, or just for fun, writing can keep you sane under these stressful times. Writing has allowed me to put my ideas out into the world, and writing narratives has allowed me to create intricate worlds and exotic characters contained in the hard drive of my computer. This is something that I will take up for the rest of the semester with the abundance of time on my hands.

Reading

stockphoto

If you didn't read for pleasure before, now may be a good time to start. Reading is a good way to put away a couple hours a day, and is also food for thought. Reading wasn't always my cup of tea, but now I may start going through my dusty bookcase.

Cooking

stockphoto

While staying home, there is one very productive way to pass the time: learning how to cook. While at home, learning how to cook can improve your skills for the future and can also provide you with delicious meals during these stressful times. Some easy recipes include spaghetti and meatballs, salmon, seasoned chicken breast, and mashed potatoes. Now is a good time to learn various skills for the future that you'll need when living alone.