Highlighting Key MLB Free Agents

Highlighting Key MLB Free Agents

Looking at four of the most important Free Agents on the MLB market this winter.

6
Highlighting Key MLB Free Agents
SI.com

This winter, there will be a host of MLB superstars that are available on the free-agent market. With teams’ futures in the balance, many of these star players have the ability to singlehandedly change the complexion of their new team. Here is a look at some of the most coveted free-agents this winter.

Yoenis Cespedes: Cespedes enters the free-agent market for the second consecutive winter after opting out of his contract with the New York Mets after the 2016 season. Cespedes, 31, carried the Mets through much of the 2016 campaign. He slugged 31 home runs while batting .280, but also added enormous strength to a sometimes week Met lineup. When New York acquired him via a trade in 2015, he instantly turned them from a losing to a winning franchise, help in carrying them all the way to the 2015 World Series. According to multiple sources, the Cuban slugger will be looking for a deal in the 5-year, $100 million range -- strikingly similar to what he was looking for last winter. Only problem? No team was willing to give him that kind of money. Look for Cespedes to accept nearly an identical deal with the Mets later this winter.

Jose Bautista: One of the game’s most identifiable sluggers over the past five seasons, Bautista, 36, enters the free-agent market as a heavy-hitting outfielder near the end of his prime. Bautista routinely slugged 40+ home runs with the Blue Jays when they were constantly finishing at the bottom of the A.L. East, but when Toronto became one of the league's best teams, Bautista became even more coveted across the league. Despite a down year in 2016 (22 HR, .230 AVG), many around the league believe Bautista will still command a hefty contract. Look for him to receive an offer in the 3-year, $75 million range.

Aroldis Chapman: The big question with Chapman this winter is: Will he receive more money than the speed of his fastball? The fireballing closer who routinely touches 100 mph hits the market with a chance to make the most money any reliever has ever received. Fresh off helping the Cubs win the World Series, Chapman is said to be looking for a $100 million contract, and his number show why. In 2016, the Cuban converted 36 saves while throwing to a 1.55 ERA and striking out 90. $100 million might be a bit of a stretch for Chapman, but look for him to receive something close for around five years.

Edwin Encarnacion: Joining teammate Jose Bautista on the free-agent market is Edwin Encarnacion, the slugging designated hitter for the Blue Jays. Encarnacion, much younger than Bautista, is in the middle of his prime and could command a much thicker contract than his teammate Bautista. The one downside to Encarnacion is that he's challenged in the field and much more of an American League player. However, he has the ability to play first base and his bat can easily make up for his challenges in the field. In 2016, Edwin mashed 42 home runs, adding to his career total of 310, and drove in 127 runs. Look for him to sign with an A.L. team to a contract in the range of five years, $150 million.