Don't Fall Victim To Someone Else's Highlight Reel

We as humans too often compare our behind the scenes with someone else’s highlight reel.

18
Natalia Parkinson

If you think about it, we see the highlight reel of people’s life and that is what we compare to the darkest parts of ours that we can’t escape. Social media plays a huge role in insecurities. At least that is the case for me. All over snapchat, facebook, Instagram, twitter we see what people WANT us to see. We see all the adventures, cute pictures, and happiness.

It is rare that people post the darkest parts of their lives for the public view. I know I don’t, simply because I don’t want to be scrutinized for my struggles (even though we all have them). Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure those people are happy, having a great time, and enjoying life, but what you must remember is that it is the side of them they show off. Maybe that happy smiling couple is struggling with money, or having a child, or with each other. Maybe that girl with the huge smile, sharing all the love with everyone is battling cancer, maybe the boy who just won that award lost his grandfather the day before.

You never know what other people are dealing with.

Don’t fall victim to someone else’s highlight reel. Just remember, your behind the scenes isn’t the same as someone else’s high light reel, or even their behind the scenes. There is no need for you to fixate on what other people have versus what you have. The very moment, as hard as it might be, you let go of trying to live up to other people’s expectations of life, you truly live your life for yourself instead of other people. There is no need for us to tear ourselves down just because someone else wants to be built up.

So, I pray that you will learn to accept the things you cannot change, and live a life you love. Your behind the scenes doesn’t define who you are, and other peoples high light reels don’t define who you are either. You are special just the way you are. Embrace it.