High School Wasn't For Me, And It's Okay If It Isn't For You Either

High school really isn't like the movies.

960

If you're reading this, you more than likely attended high school at some point in your life. If you were a few of the lucky ones that participated in homeschooling, count your blessings.

I know that for a lot of people high school was a sweet mixture of pep rallies, spirit week, and football games, but for me, these small things were only part of my disappointment with my entire "high school experience."

When I was in high school, I wasn't really labeled anything. I wasn't apart of the popular crowd, or the nerds, or any other stereotypical label you can think of. I mostly kept to myself, and I had a couple of close friends, so I didn't really put much thought into my "high school experience" most days.

However, there were days when I would genuinely wonder if something was wrong with me. Why didn't I enjoy going to football games or dressing up on game days? Why did I prefer to sit in my car and eat lunch? Why did everyone seem so excited about such trivial things, like prom?

I beat myself up wondering these things, along with a thousand others.

It wasn't until college that I realized that those feelings I felt in high school were totally okay, and justifiable even.

So if there's anyone reading this who, like me, struggled to "fit in" in high school, there are a few things I want to share with you.

I realized that winning prom queen or homecoming maid really doesn't matter. I ran for homecoming maid three times, and each time that I didn't get it, I was POSITIVE that not gaining that title would ruin my future. Well, it didn't. And if it helps, not a single person after graduation has ever asked me about it.

The car you drive doesn't reflect who you are. In high school, if you had an expensive car, you were considered the richest, coolest kid around. In college, everyone thinks you're cool if you even have a car at all.

Spirit days are kind of pointless. Yeah, okay. It can be fun to dress up as a safari animal or your favorite cartoon character on the day of a big game, but the most I've ever had to dress up for a football game now is wearing a black shirt for a "blackout" game.

No, you really don't have to have 10 close friends. Let's be honest here. You probably won't see a lot of those people after you graduate high school, and if you do, I can promise you won't have the time to hang out with all 10 of them.

Your stupid high school mistakes won't follow you around forever. Obviously, I'm not saying this to justify making dumb mistakes, but when you're fifteen you more than likely will. But don't worry, those little, embarrassing mistakes will become irrelevant over time.

The brand of clothes you wear doesn't matter. Always try and look your best, but that $40 pair of jeans looks nearly identical to the $140 pair.

I know high school is miserable for some, awesome for others, and trying for all, but no matter how you viewed it, always remember the important things: the first note you got in your locker, the trivial secrets you told your friends in the bathroom, your teachers' names, and the last time you walked down the hall.