High School Students Speaking Up On The Impact And Issue Of Gun Violence
Politics

Here are some details that may get you thinking about the issue

2053

February 14, 2018, a day the community of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida will never forget. This Valentine's day turned into a day of mourning for many in the city of Parkland. Sadly, 17 people were killed in the mass shooting that was carried out by a 19-year-old student, Nikolas Cruz.

Many students instead of grieving, decided to speak out about the issue. These students feared for their lives while hiding from the gunman, and while they speak out about the issue of gun violence - they arose what would still be a national debate over gun control and violence due to the aftermath of another school shooting.

Daily Wire published on February 16, 2018, about different statistics relating towards school shootings. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that approximately 50% of people who commit homicide at a school have given some type of warning signal as to making a threat to someone, posting violent things on social media, or leaving behind journals prior to committing their horrendous crime.

There are plenty of more statistics that share more detailed information about school shootings and gun violence, but students and their families from the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are beginning to bring the issue to light.

The Florida school shooting survivors have planned a march for next month in order to demand an end to gun violence and hope it can result in stricter gun laws. Several survivors from the school shooting spoke to Fox News and expressed how there needs to be more discussion on gun control especially after 17 lives were lost last Wednesday. This previous school shooting is officially ranked #8 out of 13 on "The Guardian" when it comes to mass shootings in the United States.

It has managed to be more deadly than the 1999 Columbine school where approximately 13 people were killed. The survivors from the Florida shooting in Parkland have had enough and do NOT want to have more students be gunned down in the school hallways anymore. The March For Our Lives is planned to be a way for students to show their concern towards gun violence, but also towards their own lives.

What else can be done? What else can people do in order to bring awareness about how important this issue is? Why does the government not see that gun violence is an issue and that something needs to be done?

What do you think?